PopEye Not Sure?

Hi Everyone,

When I got up this morning and was feeding the fish in the 55g I noticed that Hariett's eyes looked like they were bugging out some. I don't know if it's just my imagination or what. I took a video but will have to post later today. I just finished a 90% WC before I head out the door for several hours.

Here is some information for you that you will want.

Before I did a wc these were the results:

ammonia .25

nitrite 0

nitrate 20ppm it looked much darker though but not any of those higher numbered colors. This number really surprised me though.

API test drops used

Temp about 78

55g tank with 3 Oranda's ranging from 5 1/2 to almost 6 inches total including the tail.

I do a 80% WC every 5 days. Sometimes if I have the time or feel like it I will do it even sooner. My last one was last Sunday and prior to that was last Friday.

Prime used

I was feeding the fish Omega One and NLS but last Friday I switched to Hakari Lionhead sinking pellets.

I've been feeding them frozen bloodworms for a few weeks now about every other day. Sometimes every day as one of their meals. I feed them 2 to 3 times a day. Just depends.

No new fish. I've had the red cap and orange oranda for a year this month. :)

My newest fish Hariett is the changing colored Oranda. She is my most recent fish that I've had for a few months. (about 4 months) She is also my biggest fish, close to 6 inches total inc/tail. I did prazi on her for 5 rounds with a clean bill of health when I purchased her. Over the last several weeks she has had some floatiness about once or twice a week. But she has been really good for about a week almost with no floatiness at all. I'm trying to be careful with her when it comes to feeding time. She is an oinker and vacuum's up the bottom for food the fastest I think. ha ha

Like I said above, It looks like her eyes are protruding out some. Her activity is normal. Swimming all over and eating great. I just want to be sure all is okay with her.

I will post that video up late this afternoon hopefully. ASA I just wanted to get this info. up so I don't have to worry about it later.

What I have available is:

20g qt tank, heater, salt, Epsom salt, and prazi. Sorry no food meds :( but can order late this afternoon if I need to.

Hope I gave you all info. If not just let me know please.

Thanks.

Here is the video of Hariett. Her tail is the one that has more light orange. Cheeto has the white tip tail. I don't know if it's good enough for you to view. She was swimming all over. I was in the process of filling back up the tank with water this morning from a wc. I ended up doing about a 90% wc. I don't know if I should qt her w/salt or ?? Or if you don't see anything for me just to keep an eye on her. (I'm really hoping I don't need to do anything)

http://s1173.photobucket.com/user/4prettyfish/media/7-11-13029_zps272f8f2d.mp4.html

I can see the bulging near the top of the eyes. You can QT her and treat with epsom to get rid of the swelling at 1/4th tsp per 10 gallons for no longer than 8 days.

It might be something you do need to medicate for, since it can be just as much a symptom of an underlying issue, but to those regards I can't help you as I'm not too sure myself

Narny: That's hardly any epsom. Can I keep her in the 55g and just Epsom salt that tank w/the other two fish? If so, when do I do another wc? (I've never used Epsom before) Also, If I do have to use the 20g I have no filter so I'm assuming do daily WC and take out as much water as possible.

With Epsom a little bit goes a long way. It reduces swelling helps with fluid retention. There is no reason to expose healthy fish to Epsom. When there is suspect of an internal infection I think it would be prudent to quarantine the fish as we are not too sure if the infection will spread with the fluid that the Epsom expels.

Hariett has been settled in the 20g for a little bit w/air stone and large artificial plant. I put in prime and 1/2 teaspoon of Epsom salt. Not sure if she needs anything else.

Edited by 4prettyfish

• Supporter

i don't know. i am not really seeing any popeye or the vid is not clear enough on my screen :(

i had a fish, sir loyn, he had protruding eyes and was an oranda. they were like little telescope tubes a few milimetres out from his head, then the eye on the end. it kinda looks like that to me.

from what i see, in my opinion, i don't see anything wrong with this. but tonight, when i get a chance, i will check my external harddrive for sir loyn's pictures & post you an example.

i will say this though, a few days of epsom treatment will not harm your fish, so, the beginnings of popeye treatment is to start with epsom. if you are not sure, but leaning more towards fear of problem, then i recommend you commence the Epsom treatment to be on the safe side.

and yes, we understand the correct dose of Epsom to be 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of water, but this is also considered the minimum dose. for more extreme cases in which this is not, we can go as high as 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons.

i don't know. i am not really seeing any popeye or the vid is not clear enough on my screen :(

i had a fish, sir loyn, he had protruding eyes and was an oranda. they were like little telescope tubes a few milimetres out from his head, then the eye on the end. it kinda looks like that to me.

from what i see, in my opinion, i don't see anything wrong with this. but tonight, when i get a chance, i will check my external harddrive for sir loyn's pictures & post you an example.

i will say this though, a few days of epsom treatment will not harm your fish, so, the beginnings of popeye treatment is to start with epsom. if you are not sure, but leaning more towards fear of problem, then i recommend you commence the Epsom treatment to be on the safe side.

and yes, we understand the correct dose of Epsom to be 1/4 teaspoon for every 10 gallons of water, but this is also considered the minimum dose. for more extreme cases in which this is not, we can go as high as 1/2 teaspoon for every 10 gallons.

I concur 100%.

• Supporter

the first two pics of sir loyn, there is no popeye, that fish never suffered popeye in his life. the third pic is an example from another members fish, before and during popeye. that is a true example of how popeye presents. please check your fish, if there is no pale grey fluid ring around it's eye(s) there is no popeye.

note also, that a fish moves it's eyes up and down, left and right. the soft dermis that surrounds the eye can be seen druing these movements. that dermis on a non calico fish mostly, is pale grey. on a non popeye fish, it will be flat and no fluid retention will be noticed.

so, what you see when a fish is actually popeye'd, for example in the third pic is actual dermis surrounding the eye, stretched and holding fluids, that's why it resembles the same colour pale grey. as the matter is resolved, the fluid retention will become less and the dermis will flatten to what it should be as explained in this post, paragraph 2.

Thanks Helen for all the wonderful information. I don't think Hariett has pop eye then. She does not have that ring around her eye. Her eyes are protruding/sticking out more so then the other Oranda's. The other fish eyes are pretty much flush to the skin/face.

When I got up this morning it just looked real big on Hariett. I see you and alex on so I'm going to send this to you before you go somewhere else.

Hariett looks like your fish photo Helen. Sticking out like that. I do realize that the fish eye moves as you had explained. I just didn't know they can stick out like that and not be pop eye. Should I take her out or leave her in 20g then?

• Supporter

Hariett looks like your fish photo Helen. Sticking out like that. I do realize that the fish eye moves as you had explained. I just didn't know they can stick out like that and not be pop eye. Should I take her out or leave her in 20g then?

good news hun :)

since you've gone to the trouble to set up qt, if you do still have any doubt, there will be no issues to leave her there for a few days and closely monitor for any changes. if after a few days, she's still happy & healthy, give her a nice big treat & move her over :)

• Supporter

Thanks Helen. I actually like that idea a lot. Just to be safe I'll leave her alone for a few days. Do I do daily WC and how much? Thanks so much.

you're welcome hun :)

if there is no cycled filter in there, then yes, daily waterchanges of 50% will be good :)

Thank you so much. There is no filter. I was going to take out most water, just enough to keep her in tank. But I'll now do 50% and replace prime and Epsom.

Thank you again. :) I was trying to see if there were any recent cases w/ pop eye and I didn't come across any. At least not the word in the 'topic." :(