Floramax Vs Gravel

SynthHermit

Hey guys! I few months ago I bought a huge bag of Floramax to use in my betta tanks(only one of which got done...xP), but I hardly used any of it.

Since I have to clean out my plant containers, I was thinking of maybe replacing the gravel in them with the Floramax, to help the plants and change up the look in the tank some.

If I did this, how often would I have to clean the containers out? Same as gravel?

Why are you cleaning out your plant containers? Any waste that winds up in the container will be used by the plants. For the same reason, the substrate in a heavily planted tank is never disturbed. By cleaning out the containers, you're constantly disturbing the root structure(s) of the plant(s). That said, you can remove visible debris and waste (for example, left over food) with a turkey baster or some other delicate apparatus.

Well, for one, it hasn't been done in awhile and deep down in them it's disgusting. Also, my tank has some kind of illness plagued with fin rot, and I have a feeling that the containers could be harboring the nasties that caused this.

Plus I'd like to freshen up the look of the tank with a new substrate in them.

If you look in my sig, you'll see a big bowl with a big sword. What I do, just to keep things tidy, is to move the water changer hose over it, when I'm refilling my tank, just to make sure there's nothing really heinous building up in there. I don't force water in it enough to blow the rocks out--it's just a gentle swishing to flush out nasties. I'll see a few dribbles of things blow out of it, and the filter picks them right up.

I definitely agree that you shouldn't be uprooting the plants with each w/c. I've had that plant in the pot since March, and it's doing great.

As far as your plant containers causing the fin rot...I'd tend to think that your issues are more likely stemming from several weeks without any tank cleaning at all, which caused your water quality to plummet.

Just make sure your gravel containers aren't too deep, this is where you could run into trouble :) 2-3 inches deep at the very most should be sufficient for most plant root systems (1-2 inches for plants with smaller root systems). Keep in mind the type of root system your plant has when deciding on gravel depth for containers. Something with a large root system, such as a sword or crypts, is going to need deeper gravel than stem plants that develop relatively shallow root systems.