Sign in to follow this  
katearei

prazi

My fry are a couple of days away from being two weeks old, should I wait until they are two weeks old before starting prazi? Or is it ok to start it in the morning? They'll be two weeks old on Thursday.

A few days early won't hurt :)

Make sure to add a sponge filter as a form of filtration

Edited by ashlee18

Awesome (: I'm getting anxious about it lol. I'm ready to get it done and over with

With the prazi, I started it today instead of yesterday. They got their first dose about 20 minutes ago. Now do I give a second dose in 3 days. I'm a little confused about the dosing instructions. );

This is the schedule I use for my adult fish. I've added dates for you. I'm not sure if you can use this with fry, but I hope the dates make it easier. :)

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS
July 10: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
July 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
July 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
July 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
July 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
July 27: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
July 28: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
August 2: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
August 3: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
August 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
August 9: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
August 14: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Thanks Chelsea! Hopefully ashlee or someone else will chime in and let me know whether this is ok for the fry! It'll be a big help. Thank you so much :)

This is the schedule I use for my adult fish. I've added dates for you. I'm not sure if you can use this with fry, but I hope the dates make it easier. :)

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS
July 10: Big WC (>50%), add Prazi. Make sure salt is at the appropriate concentration. This is the beginning of Round 1.
July 15: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 1.
July 16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.
July 21: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 2.
July 22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.
July 27: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.
July 28: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 4.
August 2: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.
August 3: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.
August 8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.
August 9: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.
August 14: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

Thanks Chelsea! Hopefully ashlee or someone else will chime in and let me know whether this is ok for the fry! It'll be a big help. Thank you so much :)?

?

?

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

July?16: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 2.

July?22: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 3.

July?27: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 3.

August?2: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 4.

August?3: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 5.

August?8: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 5.

August?9: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, and add Prazi. This is the start of Round 6.

August?14: Big WC (>50%), replace salt, but do not add Prazi. This is the end of Round 6.

?

That is exactly the schedule that I followed. I lost count of the rounds though and I believe I only did five.

Thanks ashlee you guys have been a big help!

Just one last quick question. When it says to replace prazi, that means put a whole dose in right? I know after a water change you only replace the salt that you took out but I'm not sure that's the same with the prazi

Thanks Chelsea! Hopefully ashlee or someone else will chime in and let me know whether this is ok for the fry! It'll be a big help. Thank you so much :)

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

That is exactly the schedule that I followed. I lost count of the rounds though and I believe I only did five.

Just curious, did you use salt with the prazi as well for fry? I have always wondered if you can follow the exact same protocol for fry as for our older fish :idont

Just one last quick question. When it says to replace prazi, that means put a whole dose in right? I know after a water change you only replace the salt that you took out but I'm not sure that's the same with the prazi

When you replace prazi when it says, replace the whole dose. Prazi is only 100% active for three days. :) The reason we're waiting five before doing a WC is because the flukes need time to hatch before we can kill them.

Edited by ChelseaM

A. FIVE DAY ROUNDS

Just curious, did you use salt with the prazi as well for fry? I have always wondered if you can follow the exact same protocol for fry as for our older fish :idont

I used salt when i did it today

When you replace prazi when it says, replace the whole dose. Prazi is only 100% active for three days. :) The reason we're waiting five before doing a WC is because the flukes need time to hatch before we can kill them.

Ok good that makes sense as to why the bottle says three days then. Thanks (:

Hi,

I allow myself to join in the conversation :)

First of all Katearei, congrats with your fry. Are they still doing fine?

I also have young fry and intend to give them prazi. They are now five days old and I think I'm gonna wait till week 3-4 before starting the treatment though I've read few suggesting use of prazi during the first week, any comments/advice on that?.

Anyway, I would like to have advice concerning the dose! Should I calculate the prazi-dose exactly the same way as I do for my adult fish?

Hi L&N,

I would not wait until 3-4 weeks, because that may be too late. I would go ahead and start at 2 weeks. I'm not sure if any of the breeders start earlier, but definitely by two weeks the fry should be able to handle this just fine. Remember that one of the reasons why prazi is considered safe is because at the correct dosages, the med attacks the parasites directly, and doesn't work through the host.

The dose for fry is the same as for adults.

Hi Dnalex,

Thanks. Always relief to get a specific answer. Appreciation :)

Hi L&N,

I would not wait until 3-4 weeks, because that may be too late. I would go ahead and start at 2 weeks. I'm not sure if any of the breeders start earlier, but definitely by two weeks the fry should be able to handle this just fine. Remember that one of the reasons why prazi is considered safe is because at the correct dosages, the med attacks the parasites directly, and doesn't work through the host.

The dose for fry is the same as for adults.