Tank gallons

How many goldfish could a 10 gallon tank hold. I'm thinking one maximum, but I may be wrong.

A ten gallon tank could be used as a temporary tank for one fish for a few months, or used as a quarantine tank when done properly.

It really cannot house any goldfish on a permanent basis.

To house goldfish, you will really want to start with a 40 gallon tank (at least), and allocate about 15-20 gallons per goldfish.

Save yourself a lot of heartache, trouble and eventually money and buy a bigger tank now. I have spent way more money on upgrades than I would have originally spent on a big tank. Trust me :D

Edited by jmetzger72

The petco dollar per gallon sale is here! So, every dollar I s a gallon.... I think thats a great deal :) so, your fishy would be happy in there... maybe a ten gallon for a moor?? Just saying, but check it out!! :)

One thing I will say here is to also check for a sale on a good kit. I once got a tank kit with a heater, filter, hood and light for less than the price of a hood light alone.

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Like mentioned above get the bigger tank and be done with it. I think a lot of us have done plenty of upgrades. (I have done this also) Knowing what I know now, and if I only had one fish, I think I would go for the 40 gallon breeder. It's a beautiful tank. Your fish will have plenty of space and oxygen. If taken care of properly your fish can have the ability to grow into a big guy/gal seeing he won't be cramped into a small tank. If you should fall behind on your water changes for whatever reason such as you getting sick, vacation, or school, you'd be able to get away with it then if you had a much smaller tank. And, if you should decide to get another fish you'd still have room for one more. :)

Edited by 4prettyfish

Hello and Welcome to the forum. Like mentioned above get the bigger tank and be done with it. I think a lot of us have done plenty of upgrades. (I have done this also) Knowing what I know now, and if I only had one fish, I think I would go for the 40 gallon breeder. It's a beautiful tank. Your fish will have plenty of space and oxygen. If taken care of properly your fish can have the ability to grow into a big guy/gal seeing he won't be cramped into a small tank. If you should fall behind on your water changes for whatever reason such as you getting sick, vacation, or school, you'd be able to get away with it then if you had a much smaller tank. And, if you should decide to get another fish you'd still have room for one more. :)

And you WILL want one more...or 2 or 10 :rofl

• Supporter

petsmart has a good deal going on now too

40B with light and glass top for $80.

Stop tempting me Daniel.

lol I'm thinking about getting one more even know id be kicked out if I did lol

Yes I got two. Loved my two was only going to have my two then I saw another and another. Now I have an 80 and 30 with 6 fish and want to get a bigger one for more types and color variations.

Why does there have to be so many beautiful types and colors of goldfish it was easier when I thought goldfish was just one simple orange or white fish lol

Stop tempting me Daniel.

Yes I got two. Loved my two was only going to have my two then I saw another and another. Now I have an 80 and 30 with 6 fish and want to get a bigger one for more types and color variations.

Why does there have to be so many beautiful types and colors of goldfish it was easier when I thought goldfish was just one simple orange or white fish lol

Daniel. I definitely don't want three tanks. If someone would buy my new 34g I think I'd buy the 40b then. :) I fell in love with my 34 and still love it. It's very easy for me to manage. But golly, that 40b.............:)

Stop tempting me Daniel.

Ignorance is bliss!

The petco dollar per gallon sale is here! So, every dollar I s a gallon.... I think thats a great deal :) so, your fishy would be happy in there... maybe a ten gallon for a moor?? Just saying, but check it out!! :)

Katie, you might want to take a peek at the first comments on this thread. ;)

I have upgraded my tank 3 times ugh! From a 10 to a 20 and I finally landed on a 40b at Petsmart which houses my 3 guys. So I agree, start bigger rather than smaller. It will seem HUGE at first but then you won't even notice it and will want an even bigger one. :) Too bad we didn't find Koko's BEFORE we got our first fish. I often think of getting another but at 15g per fish I am maxed on my 40b and don't want to upgrade again! plus I have tap water quality issues so this is it for me as long as I live in this house.

Edited by CindiL

Go backwards like me and start with a pond while you wait to find a cheap container or 'tank' for your fish to show up.

Tanks are really nice to view fish but they aren't the only option out there if you want to own a fish.

I now own a 65 gal tank and it's sitting in my garage not even set up. I only bought it cause it came with a 400 gal preformed pond.

Go backwards like me and start with a pond while you wait to find a cheap container or 'tank' for your fish to show up.

Tanks are really nice to view fish but they aren't the only option out there if you want to own a fish.

I now own a 65 gal tank and it's sitting in my garage not even set up. I only bought it cause it came with a 400 gal preformed pond.

This! If you have the room, a pond is a great option. Preformed stock tanks or containers are relatively cheap in comparison to a larger aquarium.

I also agree on the go big. I started out with like a 5g (lady at the store told me it could hold a goldfish back in the day). If only I had googled and found Koko's beforehand, oh well. Once I did, I got a 29g. It's been 2 years of googling/looking at ads of 40g, 55g, 100g and DREAMING. But I think of how much my LED's , my fluval, the tank itself, etc. cost me. and i cannot bring myself to upgrade.