Plant question

abcdomo

I was wondering if it would work if I tried to grow a plant from the surface of my tank in a lil container with lil holes. Like would I need a type of soil? I'm not sure if I'm explaining this well enough to get what I'm trying to say across lol

an aquatic plant or terrestrial plant? what type of plant are you looking to grow?

I assume you mean that just the roots would be in the water with the leaves sticking out of the top?

an aquatic plant or terrestrial plant? what type of plant are you looking to grow?

I assume you mean that just the roots would be in the water with the leaves sticking out of the top?

well I plan on buying a small lucky bamboo plant and have only the roots in the water. Sorry I don't know too much about plants..but I was talking about terrestrial plants. Like sunflowers or maybe I'll try to do lily pads but I guess thats aquatic haha..

I just didn't want to try it and then the plants are toxic or something to fish:/

Edited by abcdomo

I have a plant called devils ivy growing out of my tank. I have about 6 plants with their roots in the tank, no soil. They've actually made quite a big impact in reducing my nitrates :) I've heard that lucky bamboo can also be used in this way, as long as it is only the roots which are submerged :)

I have a plant called devils ivy growing out of my tank. I have about 6 plants with their roots in the tank, no soil. They've actually made quite a big impact in reducing my nitrates :) I've heard that lucky bamboo can also be used in this way, as long as it is only the roots which are submerged :)

did you buy it already sprouted? or did you grow it?

I cheated and bought them as decent sized plants haha, they really are good though if you're looking to reduce nitrates :)

How did you clean the dirt out of the roots?My nitrates aren't too bad I just wanted to do something new to the tank lol

people grow all sorts of things in fish tanks like this, google aquaponics and you will get a lot of info on growing plants in your tank (aquaponics generally focuses on growing edible plants) :) Things like bamboo and pothos plants do not require soil. Other plants may require soil - I am not sure exactly how this is done in a tank though without making a bit of a mess. Hopefully others can provide more info on that. I would think that something like a sunflower would need soil.

I soaked the pot in a bucket of water for about half an hour, then poured that water away, pulled what soil was left and the roots out of the pot and into the bucket, and washed the roots down more. When all the soil was gone I then just washed the roots thoroughly, and placed them in little basket pots in my tank :)

people grow all sorts of things in fish tanks like this, google aquaponics and you will get a lot of info on growing plants in your tank (aquaponics generally focuses on growing edible plants) :) Things like bamboo and pothos plants do not require soil. Other plants may require soil - I am not sure exactly how this is done in a tank though without making a bit of a mess. Hopefully others can provide more info on that. I would think that something like a sunflower would need soil.

hmm ok thank you:)

Having grown sunflowers, I don't see how you would be able to do it in an aquarium. Sunflowers have a tendency to grow quite tall amongst other things.

You can do a Google search for "riparium plants" or "how to set up a riparium". To me at least, it sounds like you're planning (or wanting) to set-up a riparium-esque style tank.

I soaked the pot in a bucket of water for about half an hour, then poured that water away, pulled what soil was left and the roots out of the pot and into the bucket, and washed the roots down more. When all the soil was gone I then just washed the roots thoroughly, and placed them in little basket pots in my tank :)

This is exactly how it's done. :) Just clean the mud off the roots, and then insert them into the tank. I use bath caddies and heavy-duty suction cups to support my plants. I've grown pothos, peace lilies, lucky bamboo, and even a spider plant out of the top of my tank. :)

I'm also interested in growing plants like this -- just posting so can follow for later! c:

It's really easy. I'll make a video on prepping terrestrial plants for tank use, just as soon as the weather clears. ;)

I'm also interested in growing plants like this -- just posting so can follow for later! c:

It's really easy. I'll make a video on prepping terrestrial plants for tank use, just as soon as the weather clears. ;)

That's a good idea

Oh goody! I look forward to seeing how it's done :)