New into (planted) tanks, what about root tabs?

Ciedric

I already got brown algae. Just will find out if it plants will work for me other wise I'll create a clean tank with out plants:

Jeff Senske's aquascape is one of my favorites, of all time. :) One day, I'll have a big, rimless tank. :)

Can I add my fish or should I wait? I added 5 root tabs. The package tells you need one for every 20 liters. I've got 120 liters and added 5, just one less to keep it safe :)

The tank is test running for three weeks now and I added the tabs just yesterday.

My fish are in a plastic box for about 6 weeks now.

I just got the tabs on Saturday while the tank was already been running for three weeks.

I'm thinking of waiting a couple of days :)

I'm just concerned that adding so many tabs will flood your system with nitrates. I made the same mistake, and unfortunately, I have a feeling that one of my fish is paying the price. Watch your nitrate levels closely. When I followed the package directions, my nitrate levels were skyrocketing past readable levels, even with huge water changes. It takes three months for those tablets to start to lose their potency.

One tab under each root feeder probably would have been sufficient.

In the end, I had to dig up all the extra tablets, and ultimately, just pulled out the substrate entirely.

Watch those nitrate levels very carefully, and best of luck to you. :)