New into (planted) tanks, what about root tabs?

Ciedric

So after the BiOrb I got myself a real tank:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-wPs6gejjov4/UdXoLcVlLTI/AAAAAAAACos/EtERwZlz7fU/s640/2013_%2525207_%2525204_23_25.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-tv24yYcxtUo/UddiBMMKPhI/AAAAAAAACo4/_F7U2oOaMbY/s640/2013_%2525207_%2525206_%2525202_17.jpg

It's still running with out fish. I'm starting to wonder, do I need root tabs for my 15 plants? And how many?

The soil is just this black gravel and I've got one 30 watt tropical daylight bulb :P

http://youtu.be/KBRZY4M2I8Y

It's pretty hard to see the plants in there from top view. Try taking another vid, or get some clear pics of the plants. I still saw a few in there.Ca

Anacharis--doesn't need

Cabomba--doesn't need, but might benefit from it

Looks like there's some kind of sword in there, near the Cabomba. That could use one.

It's hard to tell with the rest--do you have a plant list?

You should click the links in the first post so you can see the pictures.
But because this is more easier I've reposted them. I don't have a plant list 'cause the shop didn't tell we what kind of plants I just got. Some of the plants got dutch names and I don't no the English translation for them.

Let's start at the back from left to right.
1. Big leafs some kind of sword?
2. Overhere they called it waterpest (pondweed?) and it also live in the ditches

3. Java vern I guesse
4. Cabomba

5. Anubia's

6. Unknow, small leaves light green

7. Some kind of sword? Green and red.

On the front from left to right

1. Leafs from the plant on the back

2. next to the drift wood it's grass, I think hair grass? Maybe I should have trimmed it and split it to get a green carpet?

3. On the front off the grass a plant from the living room. The label says Ocean Chlorophytum Comosum. This plant had some foothills and so my dad told me they will live under water :P
4. Next to the living room plant you'll find a plant that looks like lettuce/salad (what is the right word?).

5. In front of the anubia you find a plant that looks like the plant that is next from the anubia only it has a more brown color (not algae).

6. On the drift wood you can find more salad plants. The one on the right got some purple in his leafs, the left one is the normal green one.

7. In front of the red sword look plant you can find a plant that looks like cat grass :P

Do I need a CO2 system?

2013_%25207_%25204_23_25.jpg

2013_%25207_%25206_%25202_17.jpg

Your tank is absolutely stunning.

I would say to put a root tab under each sword. Nothing under the Java fern and the anubias. If you feel like it, put the cabomba near a sword, so that the roots can grow towards its root tabs. Not sure about the rest because I don't know what they are "officially". Try googling the common names that you do know, and see if it talks about their growth needs. Alternatively, you could find a local fish group, who will probably know the plants that you have in your tank quite well. :)

I agree with Yafashelli, I have plants in my tank and I only put root tabs under my swords :)

Lovely tank by the way :)

Edited by Lis.

I use API root tabs, and I think I remember the instructions saying that for a planted 10 gal tank, you should use 6 tabs...I have a 72 gal tank...that would be over 40 tabs at a time - not happening...I have a heavily planted tank, with 3 swords...so 3 tabs is all I use :) and that is only because they have been struggling to get the nutrients they need :)

I use API root tabs, and I think I remember the instructions saying that for a planted 10 gal tank, you should use 6 tabs...I have a 72 gal tank...that would be over 40 tabs at a time - not happening...I have a heavily planted tank, with 3 swords...so 3 tabs is all I use :) and that is only because they have been struggling to get the nutrients they need :)

I actually followed the directions to a "T", when I was setting up my tank. It was heavily planted, at the time, and my nitrates spiked past 80 ppm! :o:( I was doing twice daily water changes for months, before I was able to dig most of them up. After that fiasco, I prefer to use soil for my root feeders.

I think one of my fish is a little messed up from it, actually, though I have no way to prove it.

I think one tab for each sword should be just fine for you. Just know your base nitrate reading, and then watch it closely, for the first few weeks. You should be fine. :)

The seachem flourish root tabs says to use about 6 inches apart. I just put mine near the plants. I had a dwarf lily that I pretty much killed. It didn't want to come back but I put a root tab near it and it now has three babies.

Behind the anubias it looks like there is some kind of sword. The anubias is in the middle middle, and the swordish looking plant is sort of behind, and to the right of it.