Jumping Fish

GoFishyGo

Oh, no...the bottom sitting should have started within 24 hours of the first treatment, if it were just from heavy fluke burden. This kind of bottom sitting can be more serious, because it is most likely secondary bacterial infections.

Do you have Medi-Gold or Medi-koi medicated pellets? If not, can you get Kanaplex?

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try an LFS. I don't think the Pets mart or co carries it, unfortunately.

The active ingredient that I am looking is kanamycin, but I really in the end just want a broad spectrum antibiotic that is not Maracyn 1 or 2. If you find some other broad spectrum antibiotic, I think it will be OK to use also.

• Supporter

Try an LFS. I don't think the Pets mart or co carries it, unfortunately.

The active ingredient that I am looking is kanamycin, but I really in the end just want a broad spectrum antibiotic that is not Maracyn 1 or 2. If you find some other broad spectrum antibiotic, I think it will be OK to use also.

FYI I bought some from Amazon and they sent me Seachem Focus instead (not cool when you have a sick fish and I have no clue that the Focus even does.) They have them mixed up. I had to reorder from Fosters and Smith insted but it arrived pretty fast and the price was decent.

Thanks for the heads up Mermaidkitten.

I was just looking around F&S to get an idea what kind of meds they have. I see they have Kanaplex but as a broad spectrum antibiotic they also have Erythromycin and Tetracycline. If I can't find Kanaplex at my LFS are either of these acceptable Alex?

I would prefer erythromycin, and not at all tetracycline.

Have said that, if you are cannot find kanaplex, see if you can get triple sulfa, or even furan-2.

The only thing I could find was Bifuran+. It says the active ingredients are nitrofurazone and furazonidone. I hope this is acceptable. I assume I am going to have to mix it with his food but I have two problems. The first is I don't know what to mix it with. The second and biggest problem is that he wasn't eating when I left this morning.

Here are the instructions on the website.

As A Bath: As a bath treatment for external nitrofuran-susceptible, microbial diseases of marine and freshwater aquarium and pond fishes, use 1 capful (~9.7g) per 10 gallons of water. A partial or complete water change should be made just prior to beginning treatment and every 24 hours thereafter, followed by re-treatment. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Repeat the treatment every 24 hours for 5 to 7 days or until complete cessation of mortalities occurs. If improvement is not noted within three (3) days, discontinue treatment and consider other therapy.

So do I do this treatment in the QT or in another tank? If it is in the QT what do I do with the salt and Prazipro treatments? If in another tank how long do I leave him in there?

I know these are a lot of questions but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Edited by GoFishyGo

Tuesday for the Prazi. The instructions for the furan says to do WC every 24 hrs and to redose. I assume this is what I'm doing.

Almost forgot when I do the two WC do I need to wait in between?

Edited by GoFishyGo

Tuesday for the Prazi. The instructions for the furan says to do WC every 24 hrs and to redose. I assume this is what I'm doing.

Almost forgot when I do the two WC do I need to wait in between?

Yes, redose the furan daily.

You don't need to wait in between, but dose with Prime each time. :)

At the risk of jinxing myself I figured I would give an update. I started treating Lyle with Bifuran on Friday so we are on the third full day of treatment. I am very pleased with his progress so far. I occasionally catch him bottom sitting but this might be how he sleeps. He has his appitite back and is eagarly waiting to be fed whenever I go to the QT. He is still surface breathing on occasion but nothing like he was late last week. The only other thing he does that worries me is that he will start darting around the tank when I peak in. I will usually just back away and come back later. I don't know if I am scaring him or it is something else.

According to the directions I am supposed to continue treatment for 5-7 days which would end either Wednesday or Friday. I am also treating him with Prazipro and am supposed to start round 3 Tuesday. With the furan I am doing almost 100% water changes daily so is this going to cut down the effectiveness of the prazi? Should I be redosing the prazi after these water changes?

My fish and I thank you for your help.

Are you following the 5 or 7 day rounds of Prazi?

Say, for example, you're doing the 7 day rounds. For days 1-4, when you do a WC, replace the Prazi. Then for days 5-7, do not add Prazi. :)

Glad to hear you're seeing improvement!