lucky bamboo in fishtank

abcdomo

I've been looking up what type of plants to put in a fish tank and I've been thinking about lucky bamboo but I have been told that no it shouldn't be fully submerged and also I've been told it's ok to that it will still grow. Do any have lucky bamboo in your fish tank?

a lot of members here keep their lucky bamboo in their filter boxes to help control nitrates ;) if you get really long/tall ones that have their leafs out of the tank you should be ok :)but I have heard they are not to be fully submersed, but you can find artificial ones that can be ;)

I have tons of it in my tank. Just make sure the top is sticking out of the water. I actually keep my terrestrial plants in bath caddies, that I suction cup to the tank walls. ;) They grow amazing!

Also check out pothos, peace lilies, and red mangrove seedlings. :)

I had 5 of them in my fish tank for a year and a month now one of them is rottening black so i put him in my 10 gal 70% submerged and his not showing progress :(

I had 5 of them in my fish tank for a year and a month now one of them is rottening black so i put him in my 10 gal 70% submerged and his not showing progress :(

Was it completely submerged? Once the top part gets wet, it rots it from the inside out, so it may not come back. The trick is to get it so that half of the bamboo stalk is out of the water, so that you know you have enough above the waterline to keep your plant dry.

I have a bunch of bamboo sticks and a peace lily hanging out of my tank. I have most the bamboo underwater but all the leaves and a bit below the leaves sticking out, and just the roots submerged on the peace lily. They've all been doing pretty well.

Pothos does awesome partially submerged in tanks! I have one hanging out of my tropical tank that has gotten huge since I put it in.

I've been considering putting some lucky bamboo in my tank using those suction cap clips. Everything I've read said that the top has to be dry and that they're great with taking nitrates out of the tank.

I've been considering putting some lucky bamboo in my tank using those suction cap clips. Everything I've read said that the top has to be dry and that they're great with taking nitrates out of the tank.

I never put to the test how much they consume, regarding nitrates, but I can tell you that mine grow very nicely. :)

I keep mine in the back of my filter :). They love it! I got two huge stalks with the fancy tops for a total of like 2.60 at a dollar store in my mall :o

Terrestrial plants are far better at removing nitrates from water than their marsh counterparts. Marsh (and fully aquatic) plants tend to use ammonium as a nutrient source first.

Elodea nuttallii depleted N in the water very rapidly. It preferred N-NH4 to N-NO3 if both ions were available in water in similar concentration (Fig. 6). A reduction of 50% of initial N-NH4 content was noted after 8 h. The plants absorbed almost all N-NH4 in about 32 h. The high uptake of N-NO3 by plants began from 32 h when N-NH4 was almost exhausted. (Ozimek, Gulati and van Donk 403)

I see, is it possible to put the lucky bamboo on the aquaclear 20?

Members have them in larger Aqua Clear filters (for example, the 70 and 110), so why don't you try it and see? You'll never know if you don't try.

I did this just the other night

Bamboo1_zps27583f88.jpg

Daniel, that is so cool!! I've never seen such pretty lucky bamboo before! :heart Edited by LauraThe3xplora

• Supporter

got it at Wal-Mart lol

All I did was take it out of the pot and put it in the (shower stall holder thing I got) with some new rocks lol,

I loved it though and it fit great. I thought about putting it lower in the tank but decided id take it slow or just leave it like it is :)