Sign in to follow this  
schoolie

LED Lighting

This looks pretty amateurish, but I wanted to try creating some LED lighting for my fish tank. First I bought a 36" piece of U-channel aluminum from onlinemetals.com, around $12 plus shipping. Then I bought 5 Cree XM-L cool white and 4 warm white LEDs from rapidled.com, $48, as well as a 1.05A constant current driver, $21. The cord is a $2 extension cord that I got from home depot and cut up. I used two of my son's wood blocks to make the ends, a mounted a turret board to connect the DC source to the string of LEDs. To use the aluminum as a heat sink, I glued the LEDs using Arctic Alumina which provides a good thermal connection from the LEDs to the channel bar. I guess that I put in around $100 on this project. The fixture uses 31 Watts and put out around 3400 Lumens, around 110 lumens/Watt. I just need to cut some acrylic sheet for a splash guard, and water proof the connections. Thanks for reading!

IMG_4469.JPG

IMG_4470.JPG

Edited by schoolie

Rob, that's awesome! Recently, I paid the same amount of money for about 1/3 of the luminescence. :o

Have you tried it out on the tank yet? :)

Awesome DIY! :) I have no electrical skill whatsoever, or I'd have tried this myself. :)

The important thing is to keep trying; you'll get better with each build. :)

Very enjoyable read! Good work. :D

How are you mounting it over the aquarium?

That looks great! Definitely an awesome DIY :)

Make sure to post pics of it on the tank! :D

This looks great! Certainly not amateurish at all to me :D

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the positive response! I'm crazy busy today, but I'll put up some pics of the LED fixture on my tank, and I'll reply to comments tonight. Thanks again!

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

IMG_4474.JPG

IMG_4475.JPG

IMG_4476.JPG

IMG_4477.JPG

Oh wow! You are really handy! I am great at building things, but electrical is not at all one of my skills haha. Your fish is massive by the way!!!!!

That is beautiful!!!!

I love it!!way to go!!

And your fish is AWESOME!!!as is your tank :) i love the seamless look :)

Rob, that's awesome! Recently, I paid the same amount of money for about 1/3 of the luminescence. :o

Have you tried it out on the tank yet? :)

Thanks, Alex. The efficiency and output of these new LEDs is pretty amazing! The lighting manufacturers seem to be using older generation LEDs for cost savings.

If I were going to do it right, I would have connected the LED assemblies with screws, so they could be removed easily, but I was too impatient:) I'm curious how well plants will grow with this setup.

Awesome DIY! :) I have no electrical skill whatsoever, or I'd have tried this myself. :)

The important thing is to keep trying; you'll get better with each build. :)

Thanks, Tammy! Anybody could build one. They even have some solderless LED modules, so you don't even need a soldering iron:)

Very enjoyable read! Good work. :D

How are you mounting it over the aquarium?

Thanks, Dan! My tank is acrylic, so I'm just resting the the whole fixture on the top of the tank. I coated the wood blocks in liquid electrical tape, so they should be sealed pretty well.

i would also love to see it on the tank :)

Thanks!

That looks great! Definitely an awesome DIY :)

Make sure to post pics of it on the tank! :D

Thanks! Hope you liked the pics

This looks great! Certainly not amateurish at all to me :D

Thanks so much, KJ!

Oh wow! You are really handy! I am great at building things, but electrical is not at all one of my skills haha. Your fish is massive by the way!!!!!

Thanks, Haley! I'm sure you could build one too! And, yes, he is massive. Wish he were a bit smaller, so I could keep two in there:)

That is beautiful!!!!

Thanks so much, Mikey!

I love it!!way to go!!

And your fish is AWESOME!!!as is your tank :) i love the seamless look :)

Thanks, Shelly! Very nice of you to say!

You have golden hands, goldebn skill ;)

I consider led to for my next tank.

Thank you, King Poseidon--very kind! It's really not too difficult to put together.

Edited by schoolie

Wow! I want!

That is amazing, Rob!