Assistance Needed before Pineconing gets too Bad!

Follow up question: Assuming Mister Pigg has a bacterial infection secondary to some parasite, are the remaining two fish at an increased risk of contracting the same over the next 8-9 days if Mister Pigg remains in the tank?

FWIW, I don't think my DIY filter directly caused the problem. I'm theorizing that the DIY appeared to work for a couple of days (based on how the parameters were testing) and then I got caught up in other things and let the tank go unchecked, without wc's for 3-4 weeks. Ultimately, the DIY wasn't filtering properly, Ammonia and NitrAtes shot thru the roof, stressing the fish and making them quite susceptible to parasites or other infections.

I also want to be clear that I'm very thankful for the assistance freely and graciously given here. If anyone is sensing a tone about my posts it's because I'm quite angry with myself for creating this situation to begin with. In the space of a few weeks I've gone from a healthy tank with happy, thriving fish that had no apparent issues to near chaos.

Edited by Bengoshi2000

• Admin

the only thing Im going to say, Internal filters unless cleaned very good regularly, can get bad bacteria built up in them Since goldfish are very very messy fish... Im leaning this to your problem.

the only thing Im going to say, Internal filters unless cleaned very good regularly, can get bad bacteria built up in them Since goldfish are very very messy fish... Im leaning this to your problem.

And my experience with HOB's has been that they don't self prime... specifically, the AquaClear50 on my tropical tank... but I digress.

Are you saying that my normal filters are harboring the bacteria that caused Mister Pigg's infection? Because I read Helen's post the exact opposite... that if my filters were to blame all of my fish would be affected and poor Mister Pigg would be exhibiting pineconing bilaterally.

So, back to my most recent query: Does Mister Pigg present any danger of contamination to the other two fish in the tank with her?

Since your water quality affected all 3 fish, all three of them have the chance to share whatever it is Mister Pigg has. Flukes and other parasites aren't affected by water quality but will start to take over when the water quality affects the defenses of the fish (slime coat, immune system etc). Isolation ensures the other fish won't be exposed to the contaminant from this point forward. It's all about preventing the affected fish from getting bullied so it will heal and prevent other fish from being exposed.

You are doing great steps in correcting the water quality which in turn will help the fish sort themselves out (they do have an immune system, we just step in when it is overwhelmed :) ) The time restraints is what is causing issues right now. Since you are the owner it is your call to isolate your own fish or not.

Since the DIY filter is now moot. May I know what else is in your tank? Any ornaments? How deep is the substrate? Do you wipe down the interior walls?

If water changes are totally impossible while you are gone, I would advise your father to add a double dose of Prime daily to counteract any ammonia/nitrites that may build up while you are gone. This is not an ideal situation, but is probably the best you can do for now until you get back and are able to set up a proper QT etc.

• Supporter

So, back to my most recent query: Does Mister Pigg present any danger of contamination to the other two fish in the tank with her?

we don't know. we can certainly understand that it can be fatal to her. but as to wether this is one or more of the suggested following:

internal parasites

primary or secondary isolated bacteria

water quality issues

filter issues.

goldfish are good at keeping problems to themselves. normally only a pesky parasite will jump from host to host. but bacterias tend to stay with the affected fish (isolated issue). very sure this has to do with slimecoat etc. internal parasites are less transferable

but, this is not to say nothing will happen to your fish during your absence. i guess, since you must go, that only time will tell.

I had to put Mister Pigg down. When I got home from work on Friday the pineconing on her right side was much worse. Her spine was curving, and between her pectoral fins something was protruding about 1/2 inch. Best I can describe, it was like a tumor or cyst. She was also having trouble breathing. After the kids went to bed I picked up some clove oil, said a prayer and let her go. I buried her the next morning in the flower garden.

I do appreciate all of the advice given here!