Sign in to follow this  
saltdiscus

chia seed and pesto

Can we feed chia seed and pesto to goldfish? Has anybody tried this? Just curious?

I wouldn't feed pesto to goldfish. There are a variety of reasons, but the first that comes to mind is the cheese. There is also a fair amount of olive oil in pesto. In humans, olive oil in certain quantities can act as a laxative.

As for the chia seeds, I honestly have no idea. Chia seeds are quite good you; however, in water they have a tendency to expand, swell, and gelatinise. I'd be worried they could gelatinise or expand in the fish's digestive tract. Whether, however, this is a plausible concern is another story.

chia seeds have good amount of fibre which i thought wud benefit the goldfish health.how about soak in the water, expand it and feed the fish.will that work?

I would say no. It's beneficial not to put anything inside a goldfish that expands like that without crumbling. If you'd like to know what's safe, there are a bunch of fruits and veggies here. Just keep the fruits to once a month, as the sugars in them aren't necessarily the best for goldfish to be eating all the time. The veggies are good to feed anywhere from daily to weekly, especially the greens!

I personally would avoid the chia seeds (and pesto for reasons Dan noted). Even soaked I could see chia seeds not being great for the goldfish digestive system. Leafy greens are a great source of fiber for goldfish :) Spinach, kale, romaine etc. are all good to feed.

I personally would avoid the chia seeds (and pesto for reasons Dan noted). Even soaked I could see chia seeds not being great for the goldfish digestive system. Leafy greens are a great source of fiber for goldfish :) Spinach, kale, romaine etc. are all good to feed.

thanks i was just curious about chia.now i am working on food from your video u posted.it looks like really great diet for goldfish.

I would say no. It's beneficial not to put anything inside a goldfish that expands like that without crumbling. If you'd like to know what's safe, there are a bunch of fruits and veggies here. Just keep the fruits to once a month, as the sugars in them aren't necessarily the best for goldfish to be eating all the time. The veggies are good to feed anywhere from daily to weekly, especially the greens!

great list.thanks