Sign in to follow this  
abcdomo

Adopting a vieltail betta

My sister got a vieltail betta around the time I got bear and zora so about a year ago..He's upgraded from a 3gal bowl to a 10gal tank with a filter. She hasn't been taking care of him ( I mainly do the waterchanges and feed him) and has talked about giving him away and etc..I was wondering if bettas are any different from goldfish other than being tropical? I want to nurse him back to health..I noticed one of his fins are ripped and he's starting to look pale:/ So tips and how to take care of a betta would be apperciated.Thanks:)

Some specifics to bettas:

Bettas are from a group of fish called anabantids. They breathe air so if they cannot have access to the surface of the water, they drown. Usually this is only a problem when they are kept in those vases with the lids inside.

Bettas like warmer water temperatures then most tropicals.

Bettas enjoy something floating in their tank to rest on the surface. Not necessary, just something extra they like.

Congrats on adopting your sister's betta and nursing him back to health. I don't know to much about Betta's even though my daughter has two of them in two separate filtered tanks. She takes care of them 100% of the time. She does have "resting plants" in her tanks and during the colder months she puts in their heaters and set them for around 80ish.

You can probably find all sorts of information here on Koko's regarding Betta's. I know there are a lot of people here that share photo's and video's of their beautiful betta's.

You should share a photo of yours. :)

I can't wait to see photos! :)

You go girl! Glad your saving her beta! Can't offer advice but I wanted to give u a :thumb:

Here's a few tips:

Bettas are tropical fish- make sure to keep his water around 80 degrees with no fluctuations

Because they have long fins and are generally not very active, be sure your water has very little current so he doesn't get stressed

About the fin problem, if your water quality is pristine, they should heal, if you see them worsen, start a thread about it

A balanced diet is a plus, make sure to include frozen foods like bloodworms and brine shrimp

I suggest you plant your tank with live\non-sharp fake plants, he'll be happier with more places to explore

These are just some basics, if you need more info just search up on the betta section :) A filtered 10 gal is perfect for him, and I'm sure he'll perk up ;) Good luck and enjoy him!

Bettas are different than goldfish but they're really easy to keep as long as you give them what they need, which is basically a proper sized tank (The 10g is awesome) a heater (They like the temp to be around 80 degrees) and preferably a filter without a crazy current.

I've gotten some tattered bettas from the pet store before and generally a proper environment with clean water is all they need to perk up and heal any minor fin issues. Because of their long, flowing fins it's important to be extra careful that the decor in your tank doesn't have sharp edges that your betta can tear his fins on. It's not a requirement of course, but bettas love live plants! Besides, it's fun to get to keep a planted tank since bettas tend not to bother plants, unlike our friends the golden jerks. :madrant

Good luck! :)

Thanks everyone:) I plan on making a few changes to the tank before he's fully settled in like adding things such as plants that he can hide in, more gravel, I wanted to get one of those betta leaf thingys where it suction cups to your tank, a thermometor, and eventually a heater. Right now his diet is betta pellets and bloodworms. And I find it interesting that bettas breath air and don't get oxygen like goldfish.

Please post betta photos!!!!

Ohhh! So pretty! Love the color, no love the flowing fins! No... I just love that betta :heart

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Ohhh! So pretty! Love the color, no love the flowing fins! No... I just love that betta :heart

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

haha thank you