Sign in to follow this  
Kat_M

sick fry :(

Hi guys,

I am in a desperate need of help. I have 6 weeks old fry and till now everything was going great. I have lost a few babies, but those losses were rare and far apart. And now everything seems to be going down the hill rapidly. In the last 2 days I have lost 6 babies, and I have another 2 babies that do not do well at all.

About a week ago I started experiencing issues with Nitrite (max. 0.25ppm). I increased number of WCs from once a day to 2-3 times a day, 50% each time. As of 3 days, I started doing 100% changes. It is really hard, and takes a lot of time, given that I have 3 x 80 l containers and 1 x 40 l container. Nonetheless, due to frequency of WCs I have Nitrites in check. All other parameters are in check.

It started with one baby having signs of fungus/ fin rot kind of a problem. I separated him from the rest but he passed away within the next 12 hrs. I assumed that I am dealing with fungus then.

However, the other 5 that passed away did not show any signs of fungus/fin rot. I looked at them carefully under magnifying glass and there was nothing there. I found them dead laying on their sides on the bottom. 3 of them were from the nursery (the tank for the smallest fry).

I have another 2 that I placed into yet another container as they are clearly unwell. Their swimming is completely off, they twirl, they swim in circles. They try to correct themselves but clearly cannot do it.

I have been treating all tanks with PraziPro for 2.5 weeks.

I am devastated as I do not know what is going on, and I do not know how to help my poor babies.

I know treating fry is very hard and I realize it may be very hard to advice. But at least I want to try to save my little "sharks".

Hi Kat,

I'm sorry I am on holiday, so I haven't been monitoring the threads. Could you try to PM the lionchu, ahearday, and GreenTea, asking them to take a look. All have had extensive experience with fry.

Hang in there!

Hi Kat M,

young fry are most sensitive to water quality and parasite attack and entire tank can die off rapidly when water quality declines or result of parasite bites cause infections. first water quality with a little salt always works well. those that are spinning discard. some plant in tanks is very good too.

Alex, I lost another one since posting the threat and another one looks very sick. I am heartbroken. Will PM members immediately. Thank you for advice!

Hi Kat M,

young fry are most sensitive to water quality and parasite attack and entire tank can die off rapidly when water quality declines or result of parasite bites cause infections. first water quality with a little salt always works well. those that are spinning discard. some plant in tanks is very good too.

Thank you for your reply, Mikroll. Each tank has 2 tablespoons of API salt (its quite coarse) per 80 liters of water. Would you increase it? And what kind of plant?

80 liter is a nice size, and you can house many in that tank . odd that you report hi NO2. results from to much food left over or too many fish? a six week fish should be quite large , mine I raise in much smaller conditions but have to watch close the WQ and then sometimes still loose a spawn or two. two spoons is about 30 gram? should be fine even more is ok. look close at fish gills area and see if any white or swelling can be seen as that indicates big problem. water plants such as moss, hairy plants and fast growers all found at fish shop, those that like cold water as that is what we use for goldfish. about how many baby do you have ? prazi is excellent treatment too.

edit: if you are sure you have white corrode on fins consider cleaning dip using prepared store bought containing methyl blue and copper sulfate , etc.

Edited by mikroll

Up till now I have had 55 till now. I have 20 in 80 l, then another 15 in 80l, and 8 tiny ones in 40 l, and 10 in 80l hospital tank.

I believe nitrites to be results of leftover food. I have been working non-stop last week ( I am a maternity nurse and work 24hrs) so I have been coming home only to do WCs. I and cleaned as much the bottom as I possibly could, then did 50% WC, redose salt and prazi, then do another 50% change.

I have just lost another baby - fully developed, good size. This is awful.

I will look at the gills now.

I lost another one.... I just cannot believe it.... A beautiful baby, one of the largest...

I checked the gills, seem fine to me. No fraying, no white on the edges of fins. Nothing.

Retested water with brand new API master kit, all parameters are 0. They were 0 in the last 3 days... I just don't get it.

yes that how it happens. after fish health is stressed ( hi NH and NO ) then infection or other occurs. if you have microscope look a a fresh gill sample from dead fish and see what has happened.

gills for colour and shape,(no tears or bleeding)also open fish and photograph insides if possible. gut and liver pan should all look normal colour and size.

food. food is what ? soft, flake, pellet ,live?

also to check supply water for harmful chlorines.

mine i pass through giant active carbon when introducing into tank . I also have some at that age , 6 week, and have just moved then to outside pool .

Food wise, I am doing Hikari First Bite, Artemia Shelless Shrimp Eggs and Frozen Baby shrimp. I keep checking tap water before WC. Talk to water supplier this morning, they said there were some works done in area but that was 3 weeks ego, No pipe flashing, nothing.

These are my first babies and I am doing the best I can. I do not have a microscope but even if I had one, I would not be able to take sample.

I understand the stress with nitrite and I guess doing 100%WC does not help either. I am using a small cup to do it to minimize the stress but still...

But how can I help them at this point, other than just sit and wait? I am contemplating mushing some peas and garlic and try to introduce it.

Are you using any filters or airstones?

I have a sponge filter.

Over planting will help clarify your water if water changes can't be done on a schedule. You could also create a continuous water change system. Since you have a lot of fry it sounds like you would get quite some use out of it.

Basically you are waiting for the die-out from the poor water quality to finish and re assessing your stocking then. What are the lengths of these fry compared to their age?

That's the thing... There is no pattern... Equally the smallest and the big one are affected. We have had issues with water for 3 days and then all went back to normal. I am checking water twice a day. there were no nitrites detected in the tank for 5 days now.

I have just discovered some long, white stringy poos in the tank...

What is continuous water change system?

It's in the article section of the DIY projects. It's under the title of automatic water change system. I would copy the link but I don't know how to do that on my iPad

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/page/index.html/_/diy-projects/automatic-water-change-r501

Haha I did it!

Thanks, Michael, for the help. I forgot to include your name in my post! :)

Thank you, Bodoba. I will read it now.

I am concerned about those long poos. I wonder whether it is stress or parasites? But they have been treated with Prazi for 2,5 weeks now. It is heartbreaking to see them die one after another :(

I am so sorry to hear this is happening :( my three are just a tad bit older and I would be so sad to lose one.

I am so sorry to hear this is happening :( my three are just a tad bit older and I would be so sad to lose one.

Thank you :(

I hope your babies keep growing healthy.

can you provide a new picture of the fish ?

Have you checked PH?

Yes, it is in 7.6 -7.8 range, it looks pretty much the same as ph of my tap water.

can you provide a new picture of the fish ?

Mikroll, I would do it first thing in the morning. It is really late here and the lighting in my fish corner is not the best. I have tried to take photos but they are not very clear. I am using my phone as I do not have regular camera.