Sign in to follow this  
musicalmouse

Canister Filter Set Up

This morning my big canister filter got delivered. 1800LPH. It's HUGE!

Here's one of my cats, Willow, helping me show how big it is:

998654_10151588339788705_1960290696_n.jp

I only have a couple of questions. The instructions are woefully inadequate.

1. Do I take the ceramic noodles and activated carbon out of their little mesh bags or keep them in them?
  2. There are three baskets; one has foam, one has carbon, one has ceramic noodles (they are all about 1/4-1/3 full with the little baggies). Where do the bioballs go?
  3. What order do I put them in? I'm thinking ceramic noodles at the bottom, carbon next level up and the foam on top?

Thanks!

1. Keep them in the mesh bags. That will help keep everything together.

2. Replace the carbon with the bioballs. Make sure the bioballs are the last thing that the water runs through before returning to the tank. Carbon is not necessary, except when medication removal is needed. Save the carbon for that. Just put it in a baggie and put it away.

3. Depending on the flow. If your intake is at the top then : foam first, then ceramics, then bioballs. If your intake is at the bottom, then reverse the order.

Edited by ChelseaM

1. Keep them in the mesh bags. That will help keep everything together.

2. Replace the carbon with the bioballs. Make sure the bioballs are the last thing that the water runs through before returning to the tank. Carbon is not necessary, except when medication removal is needed. Save the carbon for that. Just put it in a baggie and put it away.

3. Depending on the flow. If your intake is at the top then : foam first, then ceramics, then bioballs. If your intake is at the bottom, then reverse the order.

Thanks ChelseaM! Will do for the first two :). However, the intake and outtake are both at the top and right next to each other!

What brand and model is the filter? If you can, look at the manual and see how they want it arranged. :)

If I remember correctly, that filter intake has a tube that runs to the bottom. So you want your floss on the bottom and the bioballs on the top.

Yup, I just had a look at it all again and it seems there's a tube that goes to the bottom with a UV light in it, and that it goes from bottom to top :). Thanks guys!

What brand and model is the filter? If you can, look at the manual and see how they want it arranged. :)

Hi Chelsea ... it looks similar to the unit I recently bought from "allpondsolutions.co.uk" the 2000EF+ model.... I covered it in my article on green water.....http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/111223-pesky-green-water/

@ musicalmouse...

Here's the PDF address for my unit ... within it, it explains the preferred order of the media baskets ... give it a view?

http://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/media/pdf/EF-PDF.pdf

Edited by Phillyn17