Sign in to follow this  
BurningIvy

Little Bill's mouth

Hey everybody =) Not sure if maybe I should have put this in d+d but it isn't an emergency so I figured here was better. If not, move me =) So, the question I've got is about Little Bill's mouth. His jaw was broken by flukes (guess, not sure but I think that's what happened) when he was a small fry. He has been able to eat and function pretty normally until recently. He is still eating it's just... clearly difficult. Over half of his mouth is pretty much sealed up/or cannot function. Is there a way to do a surgery on him to correct this? I don't think this is life threatening as he can still take in food but it would certainly improve his quality of life to be able to eat normally. Thanks for your input! I'll post some obligatory pictures shortly.

IM so sorry to hear about Bill. I hope he does well.

Hey, Ivy, you're not alone! I'm in a similar situation, although I wouldn't want to chance surgery on my little ranchu. I'm interested in where this thread goes.

I'm not sure if my Fincent had flukes before I had him(I prazi'd him still). But his top jaw is also fused. Looks like a figure 8 shape, with room to eat food only in the lower jaw. He eats algae, floating plant roots, soylent green and super green pretty well all day every day. I'm sure like Little Bill, eating looks like quite an exercise since they have to rip the food into itty bitty bite size pieces.

He seems super happy despite his mouth being like that but I'd like to see him have an easier time with it if possible. =)

Can you outline the prazi and salt schedule you have done on little bill? Some mouth issues with gill flukes will be resolved when the infestation number lowers.

I did the regular 5 day rounds for 5 cycles when he was about three months old. Have not repeated since.

I did the regular 5 day rounds for 5 cycles when he was about three months old. Have not repeated since.

Did you ever treat with salt for external parasites?

yes during the prazi treatment.

If the eating difficulty is a new issue or something that has been progressively getting worse I think you should start up a D&D thread on it. Better to be cautious right? :)

I suppose I will then. Thank you =)

Hi Kayla,

I don't think that the mouth surgery should be attempted, unless it the absolute last resort.

oh i wouldn't do it unless someone told me to (someone being you)

hahahaha

As long as he is able to eat, let's leave him be. You might need to make arrangements where he can be in a place where he doesn't need to compete with others for food, though. :)

Oh I'm sorry to hear about Little Bill. You are going to do great with him and give him the best life possible. :wub:

thanks =) he seems fine for now i just hope it doesn't get worse with time. I watch and make sure he does get food and he always does. I think Demo knows it takes him more time and leaves him to it haha