Wow, could this actually work?

kaylaj2355

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f32d/#tabs

^ I found this while looking for birthday gifts for friends...can this really work? Can a jellyfish like that live in this kind of environment?

I figured it HAD to be a gimmick...I looked up jellyfish keeping a LONG time ago and it seemed pretty intense.

Yeah, it seems like a lot of money if it's going to be a death setup!

I read a news article from around here not too long ago that indicated that many of the Great Lakes house small, clear, freshwater jellies. I would love to figure out how to keep some of those, LOL! A young kid captured a bunch in a bucket and the DNR confirmed that they've been around these parts for at least 50 years.

Gee, we try our hardest to avoid the jellyfish around here. There is one kind, called locally glass jellyfish, that doesn't sting and is quite common. They wash up on shore and look like silicon breast implants. :ehh

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/eb56/

Clearly this is what people SHOULD be buying. ;)

I've seen that jelly fish thing before. I don't know much about salt water or jelly fish but there's absolutely no way that can be a good idea. I know salt water requires big tanks to keep the parameters and salt levels under control. I can't imagine how much that would fluctuate in a 6 gallon maintained by someone who most likely doesn't know the first thing about fish keeping.

I've always wondered if they sell very many of those. I would think the price tag would be a pretty big deterrent.

HAHA, funny you should mention, Golden, I ordered one this morning for my office xD

Heck, I bet they sell enough of them that it would surprise us! I'm always shocked when I see classified postings along the lines of: tank, stand, hoods, filters, heater, full aquarium set-up, $1500 invested, 2 months old. Asking $300.

I can't imagine not making a hobby work after dropping that kind of coin, but to each their own!!

My fascination with jellyfish keeping is pretty ironic considering I'm allergic to them.

:rofl I think it's adorable to be honest. I kind of want to get one and put it next to my goldfish tank to confuse them. You should post a video for us when you get it!

And I agree about the expense thing. I adore fish keeping, I know I'm sticking with this hobby and I still haven't spent close to that much on it. I guess it's our gain though, since we can get awesome used tanks for cheap! :nana

Gee, we try our hardest to avoid the jellyfish around here. There is one kind, called locally glass jellyfish, that doesn't sting and is quite common. They wash up on shore and look like silicon breast implants. :ehh

Naughty, Susanne! :wa

:rofl

• 3 weeks later...

Jellyfish need round tanks..not going to click any links so not sure what you were looking at. They also do not do well long term. They need to be fed several times a day, and you should have an understanding about keeping a saltwater tank correctly first. It will also be quite expensive.Some creatures are meant to stay in the ocean.