Sign in to follow this  
Andrea

Disinfecting equipment

I am really not sure where to put this post, so please feel free to move it.

I recently lost my betta, Albus, as some of you may know. I am not continuing with betta's for now (or very a long time) so I was thinking of putting some of the items from Albus's tank into my goldfish, Clementine's tank.

This would include:

*25 watt heater

*thermometer

*some plants

I'm not too sure what Albus died of, but Narny did suggest parasites and this seems more than likely. So of course I don't want to just dumb all the stuff into Clementine's tank, but I've never cleaned anything like this as I've always brought brand new equipment and tank.

How should I clean these items correctly so I get no contamination? The last thing I want to do is get Clementine sick! If it is not worth it, I'll just scrap the idea.

Also is it worth having a 25 watt heater in a 90 litre tank? I mean I currently have no heater and water gets under 18 degrees, so is something better than nothing?

The strongest disinfectant that you can use is bleach, and that should work quite well. :)

Thanks Alex. What's the method with that however?

1 part bleach to 19 parts water. After that a thorough rinse (or several) is in order. Once the bleach smell has dissipated you're good to go. :)

I wouldn't move the heater though. Heaters have to be rated for that size tank to work properly.

If you're using bleach you can also just let it air dry in the sun after rinsing- any remaining bleach will break down

Thanks. Do plants survive the bleach treatment? I actually have some nice plants growing, be a shame to see them die or to toss them.

Yep, just soak them for a few minutes, then soak them in 2x primed water for 10 minutes. They will probably wilt after, but they'll perk back up. Same 1:19 part solution

Thanks. Do plants survive the bleach treatment? I actually have some nice plants growing, be a shame to see them die or to toss them.

What type of plants are they? Delicate plants don't usually fair well with a bleach dip, but hardier ones do. 2-3 minutes in the bleach solution is all you will need. Potassium permanganate, however, often proves best for disinfecting plants—it is less harsh on the plants.

I am completely blanking on what they are called, but I think they are quiet hardy. They are the plant people often attach to driftwood or rocks, with kinda triangular shaped green tough leaves. I actually have some very small ones, but there are new ones growing in the leaves off some of the plants.

anubias? They should be fine. I have used bleach on pretty much every plant I've added and had no issues soaking for 2-3 minutes, but like Dan said, you can use PP if you want. It just takes a couple hours. You can use a 4ppm solution (4mg per L)

I'm just guessing, but by small it sounds like it could petite nana. If it's not though, it still sounds like a variety of anubias. A quick bleach dip of 2-3 minutes won't harm it. :)

If you use PP remember to wear some rubber gloves; it stains everything purple.

we dont use bleach here in asia (never heard of)

i just uses some used toothbrushes to brush & clean off yr equipment

and gave it a hot water bath..

it might not be as good as Bleaches but hot water does kill off fish lice instantly & any other parasites might be killed this way too

The heater is really made to top out in a 5 gallon tank. So it will really struggle in your 90 liter tank. If you want to give it a go for night time, there is no harm in trying. It isn't strong enough to hurt your goldie.