Sign in to follow this  
musicalmouse

Getting a New Tank - Lots of Qns

First off, I'm a complete noob at caring for goldfish. I got my API Freshwater Master Test Kit in the mail this morning. I tested the water and the ammonia and nitrites are too high and there seem to be tiny amount of nitrates. I quickly did a 50% water change, the ammonia reading went down to about 1ppm. I'll be doing 20-30% water changes each day from now, something that I should have been doing from the beginning, I just knew nothing about the whole ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle :(. By the end of this week I will have a 190L tank (currently they are in a 20L tank that they came with) and a 1800LPH canister filter. They are three tiny goldfish (backstory and pics here). I have a 'filter' which is attached to an air pump and not very effective AT ALL - some poop is left on the bottom but I try to scoop it out at least once a day.

Okay, the questions:

1. When I set up the new tank, I should have the filter running for at least 24 hours before putting in the fish, correct?
  2. When I set up the new tank, should I do a water change in the old one and move the water that I took out to the new tank, to kick start the cycle with the ammonia and nitrites in the water? (and move over the living plants I have?)
  3. After waiting the requisite amount of time, do I move the fish over with all of their old water and the old filter?
  4. Do bio boosters work? It seems most people think that the bacteria is anerobic and therefore can't actually survive in bottles?
  5. Should I, in the future, buy a second filter? What size? I've been reading that it's good to have a second one for back up.

Once I've moved the fish to the new tank I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels and doing water changes when needed. The last two weeks have been a steep learning curve and I've had to scramble to get all the bits and pieces I need but I'm hoping I'm on the right track to give these guys a good time for the rest of their lives.

Thanks for reading :).

1. Put the fish in the new tank right away. They will be a lot better off with the increased volume.

2. The fish will produce enough ammonia. I would not bother keeping any of the old water. It's the filter that cycles, not the water. Yes, move the plants over also.

3. Move the fish and the old filter over at the same time. As long as pH and temp are matched, you're good to go.

4. I don't feel as though the bio boosters are worth the money. And, they really need to be in the tank several days to be effective at all. You will be doing frequent water changes and just dumping any bio boosters you add right back down the sink.

5. It's always nice to run 2 filters. You'll want to have a total of 10 X filtration, so for your 190 L tank you'll want a total amount of 1900 liters per hour. Your canister gets you close so your second filter doesn't have to be huge but it's nice to have 2 so they can back each other up in case one breaks. :D

I would suggest testing your water daily, mainly for ammonia and nitrites at first. What water conditioner do you use?

Congrats on your new tank BTW. Your fish are going to love all the room!

What kind of filter did you buy for the new tank?

1. Put the fish in the new tank right away. They will be a lot better off with the increased volume.

2. The fish will produce enough ammonia. I would not bother keeping any of the old water. It's the filter that cycles, not the water. Yes, move the plants over also.

3. Move the fish and the old filter over at the same time. As long as pH and temp are matched, you're good to go.

4. I don't feel as though the bio boosters are worth the money. And, they really need to be in the tank several days to be effective at all. You will be doing frequent water changes and just dumping any bio boosters you add right back down the sink.

5. It's always nice to run 2 filters. You'll want to have a total of 10 X filtration, so for your 190 L tank you'll want a total amount of 1900 liters per hour. Your canister gets you close so your second filter doesn't have to be huge but it's nice to have 2 so they can back each other up in case one breaks. :D

I would suggest testing your water daily, mainly for ammonia and nitrites at first. What water conditioner do you use?

Congrats on your new tank BTW. Your fish are going to love all the room!

Thanks so much for all the info! I'll save up for a second filter ASAP then :). They're going to have a very clean tank hahaha.

I can't wait to move them into the new tank - just have to wait for it to be delivered! Hopefully they feel better once they're moved.

For water conditioner, I have API Tap Water Conditioner. I also have some API Stress Coat stuff, but I don't think I need to use that.

Nope you don't need to use Stress Coat on a regular basis.

If you can, try and get some Seachem Prime. It will help detoxify SOME of the ammonia and nitrites while cycling. Water changes will be key but Prime will help. :)

Nope you don't need to use Stress Coat on a regular basis.

If you can, try and get some Seachem Prime. It will help detoxify SOME of the ammonia and nitrites while cycling. Water changes will be key but Prime will help. :)

I found some online, so I'll get some, thanks for the tip! :)

Welcome your fish are so cute! I personally use just the one filter, a canister that runs x11 times my tank volume and I have had no problems. It's not a bad idea to have two though :)

The filter is slightly too small for the tank. So another filter will definitely be a good idea. You don't have to get one as powerful. A hang on back filter would work nicely.

You've received a lot of information already so I'll just say: Welcome to the forum and Hello. :)

I've found an 800LPH Aqua One hang on back filter that I'll get once I've got some spare cash and set everything else up. That'll take it up to 2400LPH or about 12x :). Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Thanks for the welcome 4prettyfish :).

Can't wait to take photos of the new set up to show everyone!