Sign in to follow this  
Erica Stolte

Injured goldfish emergency.

I was trying to sleep about an hour ago intending to bike to my Unitarian in the morning when I heard a strange noise. I started thinking an animal got in, happened to look in with one of my goldfish tanks and saw one of my goldfih( Bromley) flopping around on the floor!!!...

Scooped up and put him? back into the tank. But Bromley is now bottom sitting and bleeding from the side/gill area now. What to do now?.

Edited by Au-fish

I'm sorry! :(

please take pictures when you can- I think the most important thing for now is to let him calm down. How bad is the bleeding?

Ok, got off the ground and is swimming around ( good sign). I see two small bloody areas on the gill area top and bottom on one side. Not a good place for a fish to get injured.

Trying to post two pics, but well you know my camera here doesn't really take very good pics.

Oh my gosh that must have been scary and still is I bet. Good thing you got up to investigate the noise.

I hope Bromley will recover okay.

Yeah, I don't have a good track with injured fish.

Restarted my computer twice and am having trouble getting my camera to load pictures, hope it's not because of some software updates I did today.

Glad to hear he is doing a little better. Could you post the answers to the questions when you can? Hopefully the pictures will work for you!

Bleeding seems to have gone down( could see wisps of blood in the water before). Looking at what seems like overall slime coat damage/or dust from a piece of carpeting I have directly under the aquarium stand.

Unless I get any further suggestions, I'm going to stay up another hour doing google searches on treating injured aquarium fish , observe injured Bromley goldfish and do nothing else with the tank tonight.

Possible plan for tomorrow, 25% water change, add melafix. Remove uninjured goldfish (Esthera) and put her? in my other goldfish tank(That ended badly last time trying to have three goldfish together in that tank so I dunno?) or in one of my tanks in the basement( which are not cycled, but I do have a 40 gal. down there filled with water).

Edited by Au-fish

This is what I would like to suggest:

1. Do your big water change now.

2. Bring the salinity in the tank to 0.1% tonight, and then raise it to 0.2%.

3. Do daily WCs on the tank (10-20%), and monitor. I'd like to see a pic or two of the injury, please.

4. We really need to know your tank parameters, especially ammonia, nitrite, and pH. While goldfish are certainly capable of jumping, they do this unless there is cause, such as intolerable water, or parasitism. Whatever treatment that is pursued for injuries are simply bandages, and do not address the larger issue, which we cannot do until we have pics and some idea of what's going on with your tank. It helps tremendously if you actually answer all the questions at the top.

My experience with googling for treatments is that after 5 minutes, you learn that there are tons of different opinions, and that someone will oppose any given method.

Good luck.

Ok, got the pics. Figured out my mini stack ( external harddrive) got unplugged, camera was hooked up to my mini stack so my computer wasn't "reading" the camera.

I added a little fresh water, but if I did some major work on the tank, I'd be pulling an all nighter here since it's already around 2AM now.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p200x200/1013710_10200239743704753_949996812_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p200x200/1013371_10200239745624801_4795013_n.jpg

I don't think it looks too bad, Goldfish. Do what you can tonight, and then follow the plan I suggested in the post above. :)