Oranda tank update

Guest Mr Grump

Guest Mr Grump

Our new babies have been with us for 3 months, making them about 9 months old now. They were given to us by a very kind UK breeder after he heard how we were treated by a UK mail-order company. The fish are from his prize-winning stock breeding line & although we wanted 4 fish, he insisted on giving us 8 fish.

The 240 litre tank is somewhat overstocked, but we are doing 50% water changes twice a week & are over-filtered with both a Fluval G3 & Fluval 306 filter. Water specs are 0/0/10 with pH 7.4 & low hardness. High phosphates of 2ppm from the tap give us a slight brown algae issue at the moment. Lighting is 4 hours per day. Temp is at 22°C, we have a heater, but it's not on. Oxygen 12ppm. Eheim double air stone.

We didn't medicate the fish immediately, but after some very mild fluke symptoms, we have just taken them through 21 days of Seachem Paraguard treatment which has worked well & has also been very mild to our little guys. Planting-wise, one sorry looking Java fern has survived, the rest of the plants are recovering in our QT. One of the smaller fish has some very mild veins in her tail fin which come & go. We have some Seachem Kanaplex & tank dividers/QT ready for when we decide to treat her for Septicaemia. Each time we get ready to treat, they go away completely so we have not treated that yet. As I type this, there is not a vein to be seen. Another one of the fish although acting very healthy, has a slight inward curl on the bottom of his tail fins, so he may well get the Kanaplex treatment at the same time.

Feeding wise, they are getting NLS small Goldfish pellets soaked overnight. Then for the evening meal, either peas, beans, cucumber, cauliflower, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Frozen Blood Worm, or Agar Veggie-burger.

One of the naughtiest fish, Garfield, got something suck deep in his mouth a month or so ago. We think it was a plant leaf, but we could not see anything. he had the stock symptoms, swimming backwards with mouth open & gulping air. Following advice from the breeder, we fed the food socked in cod liver oil for 3 days. This worked very well indeed, but ever since then, Garfield has developed a liking to gulp air. A couple of the other fish copied him after a while & this has given us the odd floaty SB issue which is immediately sorted out by peas, beans don't seem to help with this.

(A useful way of feeding oil soaked food is to cut off the top part of a plastic drink bottle. Remove the cap & use it as a funnel in the top of the water. The food sinks out into the tank, leaving the oil slick inside the bottle top. Keeping the bottle still in the water, replace the cap & remove the bottle with some of the oily tank water & discard.)

Despite no toxin or oxygenation issues, 3 of the fish now regularly gulp & swallow air from the surface. The other 4 do not. Watching the fish, it seems to be a sort of habit that after they have eaten, they go up to gulp air. The only time that they do not do this is when they've had peas. We are just now trying to adjust the feeding to 3 times per day instead of twice per day to see if that helps. Our concern is that they could be gulping because they are eating too much. The food we feed is eaten within two minutes.

Jun13c_zps7eb83045.jpg

Very pretty! Some of them do look like fantails aha I hope their wens grow in well :) The very bottom one looks like my fish Baby!! :o

They are beautiful! Still loving your big red and white one, on the top right. His color is so deep. Super pretty.

Guest Mr Grump

Thanks everyone. The fish are a mix of either fantail or veiltail.

The one at the bottom of the photo is Garfield - plant-eater & very naughty indeed. He is a gorgeous shape with a good deep body. he is an expert at fitting as much food into his mouth as possible.

The red & white one is called George. He is a very good boy & is one of 3 which will come to greet me & stay next to me for as long as I am near the tank. He is a fantail with Koi colours. The breeder uses Koi lines to create the red Orandas that win all the prizes.

They are 9 months old, but only a tough of a wen on any of them. How long before the wen grows?

Your fish are all so beautiful. Your photo is so clear and bright. I have five fish and my three biggest ones always seem to go up and gulp air shortly after eating also. I wish they didn't do this either.

The wen growth depends on a lot of factors. I think the main one is having clean water with large weekly water changes. It sounds like you are on top of it. And of course a good diet of food.

You fish look very nice, lovely bright colouring.
I really like the look of your tank too :)