My fancies had fry thread with pics

DieselPlower

A few days ago I posted a thread wondering if my fish eggs looked to white to be fertilized. It seems some of them were as they have no hatched but as of yesterday I do also have about 18 fry that I have been able to count so far. I am also positive the mom is my chocolate oranda but I am not sure who the baby daddy is. Here is a pic of one fry next to my hand. it was not easy to get a phone camera to focus in on it. the bigger fish in the pic to follow would be the chocloate fish who i expect is the mom, and then the two possible dads. I will post pics as they develop. I am hoping for some cool coloration etc.

IMAG0857.jpg

Thanks I will keep this updated. One thing I do wonder is at what point to I want to start adding filtration etc? Right now they are in a 15 gallon tank with nothing. I just planned to do about a 25% water change daily for a bit.

I added a filter after mine were about 4-6weeks and baffled the flow.

But all I had avail at time was a small internal filter.

My lfs have air driven sponge filters specifically for fry tanks which I may get soon.

Do you have an airstone with them? Id put a small stone in at a rate of about 1Lpm to begin with (but only once theyre about 4-5days old) that's what I did.

I added a filter after mine were about 4-6weeks and baffled the flow.

But all I had avail at time was a small internal filter.

My lfs have air driven sponge filters specifically for fry tanks which I may get soon.

Do you have an airstone with them? Id put a small stone in at a rate of about 1Lpm to begin with (but only once theyre about 4-5days old) that's what I did.

I dont have an airstone of any sort. I should prob get one :)

I just added a sponge filter to my frys' tank when they were two weeks old. It was the same time that I added prazi.

Also, start hatching some brine shrimp :) I believe live food is the best stuff for them. You can also add in some plants. The plants will carry some tasty critters.

Eta: I forgot to add...congrats!!! The possible parents are gorgeous.

Edited by ashlee18

• 4 weeks later...

I can't figure out what that means hahaha! I can see their bellies getting big and their tails look like they will be pretty fancy. Other than that, no clue. One thing I can say is that my single tail fry from last year grew much faster.

Edited by DieselPlower

I can't figure out what that means hahaha! I can see their bellies getting big and their tails look like they will be pretty fancy. Other than that, no clue. One thing I can say is that my single tail fry from last year grew much faster.

Multiple Tank Syndrome, or Multiple Pond Syndrome! :rofl

Oh gosh hahaha. Well, I have a 40 with just a bristlenose pleco in it and I am going to buy a tub somewhere in the range of 100 to 150 gallons to keep in the basement. I do want to grow the fish out a bit so I can pic my faves before I give the rest away. I also want to put a couple in my pond but I am a bit apprehensive about keeping them out all Winter, as SOME people say is possible and SOME people say it is not.

Edited by DieselPlower

Sooooo cool!

The baby daddy is quite the looker :ehh I'm sure they're going to be gorgeous!