Why are my anubias losing color?

cmclien

I've noticed that some of my anubias are going from dark green to pale green and some leaves turn yellow so I cut them off. I am thinking I need more nutrients but here is my setup.

Tank temp: 74

Marineland double bright led lights on for 11 or 12 hours a day. No window close by but its a fairly bright location.

Main water is softened though I add a couple capfuls of Seachem replenish when I do my weekly 2/3rds water change

Capful of seachem gold trace at water change

1/2 capful of seachem flourish at water change

My lace leaf and java ferns look fine

Most plants grow best in hard water. It makes it easier to uptake nutrients you give them. You can add any form of buffer to help them out.

If I can make an addendum: some plants will grow well in hard water; however, a lot of plants used in an aquarium originated from areas like, for example, Asia and the Amazon where they thrive in softer water. This is also why aquatic plant soils have water softening properties. That said, in very soft water you will struggle to grow plants.

Cindi, how old is the anubias? If it has only recently been purchased, it sounds like it may have been grown emersed. If this is the case, the leaves are adapting to being submerged. Some will die off and yellow, whilst some will remain alive. Eventually new leaves will grow and these will be aquatic. :)

They are all ones that were grown emersed; however one of them is probably close to a year old. The one that looks the worst is fairly new though all of them in general have lost color all over. It may be coincidental but it does seem like they started to lose color when I began using less replenish to harden the water so I will add in a little more to put the GH at around 75 and see if their color improves. Thanks :)

They are all ones that were grown emersed; however one of them is probably close to a year old. The one that looks the worst is fairly new though all of them in general have lost color all over. It may be coincidental but it does seem like they started to lose color when I began using less replenish to harden the water so I will add in a little more to put the GH at around 75 and see if their color improves. Thanks :)

Okay, sounds like a plan. It is entirely possible the newest plant is adapting to its submersed lifestyle, whilst the other anubias is suffering from some sort of nutritional deficiency. Keep an eye on them. If any of the leaves start to develop significant holes or completely yellow, remove them. Removing dying leaves allows the plant to develop new leaves, instead of trying to sustain dead/dying ones. At the end of the day it's all about resource management.

Okay, sounds like a plan. It is entirely possible the newest plant is adapting to its submersed lifestyle, whilst the other anubias is suffering from some sort of nutritional deficiency. Keep an eye on them. If any of the leaves start to develop significant holes or completely yellow, remove them. Removing dying leaves allows the plant to develop new leaves, instead of trying to sustain dead/dying ones. At the end of the day it's all about resource management.

I am currently using 1/2 cap of flourish once a week for 40g, does this sound like enough? Thats what the bottle said and I didn't want to use too much. I read somewhere that they may need iron. I know my well water here has very little iron in it.

I am currently using 1/2 cap of flourish once a week for 40g, does this sound like enough? Thats what the bottle said and I didn't want to use too much. I read somewhere that they may need iron. I know my well water here has very little iron in it.

Sounds fine to me. If, however, you're using Flourish Excel, I would under-dose what the bottle suggests. Flourish Excel has been reported to cause problems for fish when dosed per bottle recommendations, although evidence is circumstantial, and Seachem has vehemently criticised such claims in personal communications I've had with them.

Anubias do enjoy iron. If your water is low in iron, adding a substitute won't hurt. Seachem make an iron fertiliser if you're interested.