Sign in to follow this  
Jeana727

Someone's In The QT Tank!

Thanks Lisa! When these things happen it is often hard NOT to blame yourself. But I KNOW I was being VERY careful. It is just so sad to loose the lil' guys!!! I always SAY I am NOT going to get attached too soon...then BAM I am attached RIGHT AWAY!!!

I was thinking myself..that is seems they have little or no QT. I saw them pouring in fish from BIG bags once & I'll bet they had just come in too.

I am still said over my two lil' short term pets but I will try again sometime. I really would like to get a Ryukin as I haven't had one in a long time!!

I am sorry for your loss :( Do you have any other store that you can try to get fish from?

I'm sorry, Jeana. :(

Perhaps with the third fish, you would be amenable to trying our QT method?

What did I do or not do?

What did I do or not do?

My understanding was that you used Melafix and Pimafix with the last QT. While Melafix and Pimafix have been touted as great treatments, there is actually very little data to show that they work at the concentrations recommended by the manufacturer.

I was going to suggest doing a more stringent QT, with salt and praziquantel treatment. That had nothing to do with you, but more on the fact that fish these days are not quite as they were, even compared to a couple of years ago. People cut corners to try to sell the fish as quickly as they can.

Gotcha!! Thanks!!

I emptied the tank & wiped it down. Then filled it & added some bleach & have let it run today. I don't want ANY cooties left behind. I'm about to go rinse the heck out of it & then run it with Prime to remove anything left.

So far so good?

I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

Thank you.

OMG!! I was looking at my Platty tank & noticed that one of the Twin Bars is pregnant!! (If not this fish is going to EXPLODE!!) So I scooped her out & put her in the QT tank. It should work perfect as it is full of plants so maybe if she drops a bunch of younguns they'll be able to hide out!! FINGERS CROSSED!! I haven't had baby fish in YEARS!! Kinda Excited!!!

I turned off the filter so the babies won't get sucked up. There is a bubble ball going in there so this should be ok.

Edited by Jeana727

I love live bearers for this reason :) Platys and Molly's are my favs ;) and you could just wrap some filter material around the filter intake so you can still run it :) and maybe add some media from your big tank so you don't have to worry about a cycle ;)

And this will keep you busy until you find that other fishy you have been wanting ;)

everything happens for a reason ;)

I'm sorry about your losses Jeana :( But, congrats on the babies!

226C7F5B-E4A9-4421-B163-9630FB49D093-315

Here's lil miss PREGO!! She has placed herself right into the plant! This QT tank should be prefect for her to drop a slew of babies!!!

Ok (thanks for the advice AGAIN!:)) I wrapped the intake cone in some blue/white batting stuff (made for the INSIDE of the filter!) but this allows the water to flow perfectly & NOT suck up hopeful future babies!!!

Awwww so sweet. congrats!

aww she's a cutie :) good luck with the babies :)

Well it seems that either she was bloated & got over it OR she ate the babies.....or whatever. Anyway she is all slim & trim & I see NO babies!! :(

Darn I was lookin' forward to watching some babies grow!!!!

Edited by Jeana727

you really are having a bad run lately :( are you sure there aren't any babies in the plants???they are super good at hiding ;) lol

Maybe they're hiding in the plants. Give it a few days. ;)

Edited by yafashelli

Maybe their hiding in the plants. Give it a few days. ;)

Yes, they could be since it looks pretty well planted in there.

I haven't seen any............but hope they are some there!!!