Sign in to follow this  
kiaas

Stand an inch too short, and cleaning

So, I just got a 20gallon aquarium for my goldfish. it's roughly 12x24x16 inches, and apparently my nightstand is closer to 23 inches long. I don't think it's a good idea to use that stand, and am thus currently planning on buying a new one before I put any water in this tank, but I'll ask here just in case I can get away with that.

It came with an Aqua-Tech 5-15 filter, which is used, filter media and a bio-filter sponge, also all used (but the filter looks brand new)

I'm planning on using spray-bleach stuff to clean the tank, and am wondering if that's a good idea, and if so, proper procedure for how to get all of the bleach out before I put the fish back in.

Edited by kiaas

If that stand is strong enough, it would be better to put a board on top that is 24" to cover the entire length of the tank.

I wouldn't use a stand that the tank doesn't fit on entirely as it puts stress on the tank and I'd be worried about it cracking. would your nightstand have been able to hold what, 200+lbs (factoring in substrate, decor etc as well) anyway? for anything over 10 gallons, I prefer using stands made specially for aquariums, as that way you know they can hold the weight.

I wouldn't use a stand that the tank doesn't fit on entirely as it puts stress on the tank and I'd be worried about it cracking. would your nightstand have been able to hold what, 200+lbs (factoring in substrate, decor etc as well) anyway? for anything over 10 gallons, I prefer using stands made specially for aquariums, as that way you know they can hold the weight.

I -know- it can handle 16gallons of water as I was using it to hold my 17gal bucket I'm temporarily keeping my fish in, and I think it could handle the full weight of 20gal, and yeah, unequal stress is why I wasn't planning on using the stand.. was hoping though, can't get rid of any furniture, due to rent agreements in this fully furnished apartment, and.. low on space, but I can and will make a space for it. I'll continue planning on buying or otherwise procuring a stand, then. Still need to know about cleaning stuff, though

For some months, we had our 60ish liter tank on a stand that was slightly too small. We had the local kitchen store cut us a piece of kitchen counter board (butcher block) a bit larger than the tank and placed that on top of the slightly smaller table. We knew that we were moving and didn't want to buy more furniture prior to the move. Worked fine.

Why not build your own stand? There is no better feeling than when you've made something and know that it costs you much less than buying one. You can search on Google for plans to build one and build it with 2x4. I would imagine it'll be easy to build since there doesn't need much support compared to larger tanks. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Go to Home Depot and, as already stated, get a 24" x 12" (or larger, so you have a ledge to put stuff) 1/2"-3/4" thick plywood board. It should not cost much. If they don't have any the exact dimensions buy larger and they will cut it for free. Put this under the tank. I have done this before and there's no issues with a 20G tank. You will be fine. When you move take the board with you. If your table can support 225 lb then you'll be fine.

If you find a 30"x12"x16" 25G tank buy another plywood board and use the same table.

The Aqua-tech 5-15 is from Walmart and more suitable for a 5G tank and tropical fish, not goldfish. The ones I have are very noisy and flow is not adjustable. Coupled with an Aquaclear 50 (200gph) or even better an Aquaclear 70 (300gph, turned down), the Aqua-tech 5-15 would make a good tank ornament but not as a filter. I have also tried to work with the larger Aqua-tech 20-40 and they are also terribly noisy.

Edited by TorontoBoy

Go to Home Depot and, as already stated, get a 24" x 12" (or larger, so you have a ledge to put stuff) 1/2"-3/4" thick plywood board. It should not cost much. If they don't have any the exact dimensions buy larger and they will cut it for free. Put this under the tank. I have done this before and there's no issues with a 20G tank. You will be fine. When you move take the board with you. If your table can support 225 lb then you'll be fine.

If you find a 30"x12"x16" 25G tank buy another plywood board and use the same table.

The Aqua-tech 5-15 is from Walmart and more suitable for a 5G tank and tropical fish, not goldfish. The ones I have are very noisy and flow is not adjustable. Coupled with an Aquaclear 50 (200gph) or even better an Aquaclear 70 (300gph, turned down), the Aqua-tech 5-15 would make a good tank ornament but not as a filter. I have also tried to work with the larger Aqua-tech 20-40 and they are also terribly noisy.

noisy is bad. I had hoped I'd be able to pair it with my tetra whisper or fluval u1 (thanks, chai!) to make up the difference, but if it's really only good for a 5g and is noisy, I guess I ought to go buy something better.

noisy is bad. I had hoped I'd be able to pair it with my tetra whisper or fluval u1 (thanks, chai!) to make up the difference, but if it's really only good for a 5g and is noisy, I guess I ought to go buy something better.

I have two, and my two were very noisy. Maybe someone knows how to quiet them down? It is on my to-do list to try to silence them. Still, you should prime and plug yours in to see for yourself. You may be surprised.