Hey guys just going through my options of filtration and i'm stuck on whether i should get an Aquaclear and a canister filter or just two aquaclears?

I know that a canister and an aquaclear would probably be better but are canister filters that good, are they really worth the extra money?

Heres the big question: Will it really make that much difference?

Will it really make that much difference if i just have 2 aquaclears?

Thanks for your help and opinions :thumb:

I cant truly comment as ive never owned an aquaclear.

But I guess it truly comes down too tank size, what you are stocking and the number of fish.

It will then come down to $$$ budget and what you prefer looks wise.

Ive got fluval and eheim canister filters on my tanks and im pretty happy with them so far.

:hi

What size is the tank you are looking to filter?

56 gallons and i plan on having 4-5 goldfish in

I cant truly comment as ive never owned an aquaclear.

But I guess it truly comes down too tank size, what you are stocking and the number of fish.

It will then come down to $$$ budget and what you prefer looks wise.

Ive got fluval and eheim canister filters on my tanks and im pretty happy with them so far.

I plan on a 56 gallon which is like 211 litres something like that, and i want to have 4-5 goldies in there :) As for budget i only want to be paying AROUND $150 per filter, max.

If that's your budget, then go with the Aquaclears. :) 560gph of combined filtration is the minimum you'll need.

Also, you probably should only keep 3 in that sized tank. Try to stay as close to twenty gallons per fish as possible.

56 gallons will hold 2-3 goldfish if you have a filter or two that rates up to 10X filtration and you do at least one large (over 50%) water change a week. (more like 2 large water changes if you are housing 3 goldfish)

I do not know of a way to safely house 4-5 goldfish in that container without a continuous water change system in place.

If that's your budget, then go with the Aquaclears. :) 560gph of combined filtration is the minimum you'll need.

Also, you probably should only keep 3 in that sized tank. Try to stay as close to twenty gallons per fish as possible.

I was thinking about using an aquaclear as well as one of these

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/catalogue_products.php?prodID=6168&catID=6

What do you think???

Both of these filters have advantages and disadvantages.

Best to decide what is most practical for your setups. Such as what would be most practical for cleaning and where is the best place on your setups for filter placement.

What do you think???

If you can purchase it without breaking your budget, definitely do so. Do you have room beneath your tank to keep it?

Even if you do that, you still can't keep more than 3 fish in a 56 gal tank! :) The stocking guidelines assume excellent filtration.

Edited by pawsplus

What do you think???

If you can purchase it without breaking your budget, definitely do so. Do you have room beneath your tank to keep it?

Yeah I will definitely have room, it's only $99 so it's pretty well within my little Budget I set.

Even if you do that, you still can't keep more than 3 fish in a 56 gal tank! :) The stocking guidelines assume excellent filtration.

Yeah I'll have excellent filtration don't worry :D by the way I'm keeping fancies so if I followed the guidelines of 20 gallons 1st fish, 10 gal for each additional fish; 4 fish would be pretty happy. They'd still have 5-6 gallons extra space. Everyone always taught me this way, seems like the guidelines just keep going up and up lol

Yeah I'll have excellent filtration don't worry :D by the way I'm keeping fancies so if I followed the guidelines of 20 gallons 1st fish, 10 gal for each additional fish; 4 fish would be pretty happy. They'd still have 5-6 gallons extra space. Everyone always taught me this way, seems like the guidelines just keep going up and up lol

It is fifteen to twenty per fish, Liam, not twenty for the first and ten for each additional. That rule is outdated.

Edited by ChelseaM

Definitely stick with 2-3. As others said current stocking guidelines are 15-20 per fish. I really need to do an updated YouTube video on this ;) the old guideline was fine for juvie goldfish, but really not ideal as fish grow to adult size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely stick with 2-3. As others said current stocking guidelines are 15-20 per fish. I really need to do an updated YouTube video on this ;) the old guideline was fine for juvie goldfish, but really not ideal as fish grow to adult size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is a great idea tithra! :)

Just bear in mind that most of the canister filters ive got stated a size (dimensions) in height, but it didnt inc the taps or allow for hoses which cannot be kinked.

Also with a tank that size I agree with 2-3 goldies rather than 4-5. They get big and fast too.

Id maybe be swayed to say 4 if they were only very small fish AND you were planning on separating them etc.

But im thinking stick to 2-3 for now. Ive found Allen and Steve do a good job of fillng their 55gal tank.

Perhaps you could get a snail or two and two goldfish for the tank.

Definitely stick with 2-3. As others said current stocking guidelines are 15-20 per fish. I really need to do an updated YouTube video on this ;) the old guideline was fine for juvie goldfish, but really not ideal as fish grow to adult size.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just bear in mind that most of the canister filters ive got stated a size (dimensions) in height, but it didnt inc the taps or allow for hoses which cannot be kinked.

Also with a tank that size I agree with 2-3 goldies rather than 4-5. They get big and fast too.

Id maybe be swayed to say 4 if they were only very small fish AND you were planning on separating them etc.

But im thinking stick to 2-3 for now. Ive found Allen and Steve do a good job of fillng their 55gal tank.

Perhaps you could get a snail or two and two goldfish for the tank.

It's ok guys don't freak out I was really only ever gonna have 3-4 goldies in there :D And thanks to all your guys advice I'm only going to have 3 fish in there. I already have a Blackmoor and an Oranda, do you guys think I could have a cute little ranchu in there with them?

Oh and what snails will eat some of the algae In the tank. I want some apple snails in there but I also want some snails that will cleanup a little

Edited by Liam Morley