MummyDJ's shrimp tank

MummyDJ

Hey,

I'm finally going to be sorting out setting up my own shrimp tank.

I'm going to be cleaning out my 3 gallon tank tonight and deciding on my plants.

I want to go with low-tech plants as I want the only plugin to be the airstone pump. So the plants need to be able to grow with little in the way of light (just sunlight).

My sister's treating me to what I need this Sunday so eeeeee!!! ^_^

Edited by MummyDJ

SO FUN!!! Pics ASAP please :D

My shrimpies love cabombas, they can hide in the layers of leaves. I'm not sure about light requirements for those, though, I have a full spectrum light.

Having just done some looking around i've got 3 plants i'd love to have.

Water wisteria

Mini pellia

Downoi

I know the wisteria and mini pellia will be ok but i'm still trying to figure out how best to arrange things so I can have the downoi.

I also don't know if it'll do well without CO2 as can't find much info on that side of things. Everyone seems to use it!

Sounds great, Celina. :)

A small compact fluorescent desk lamp would be better than no light at all. In fact, for such a small tank this type of lighting is ideal.

Without CO2 and high light, downoi won't stay compact; instead, it will grow larger with the leaves growing farther apart. Either way you can grow it with lighting, but how you want it grow will best determine the lighting you need. It does best with medium level lighting. By the way, DIY CO2 with yeast and sugar water is a viable way to go if you want to experiment with CO2.

Sounds great, Celina. :)

A small compact fluorescent desk lamp would be better than no light at all. In fact, for such a small tank this type of lighting is ideal.

Thank you for this. :) it's gor me thinking about those stick on LED torches that I could maybe make a post over the tank for. Hmm...

Made the decision of replacing thoughts of downoi with pearlgrass (hemianthus glomeratus).

A couple of reason but the main being requirements and I find it more appealing as a carpeting plant.

Hopefully with lights as just mentioned, it'd cover nicely.

With those three plants, i've drawn up a couple of possible layouts.

The mini pellia being on stones which is why those patches are round. :)

Posted Image

Or

Posted Image

Observations? Comments?

I like the top layout the best. Best of luck with your shrimp tank. I've just set up a shrimp tank myself. So far I have several crypt plants, and a Compact Amazon, a sponge filter, a submerged filter, heater, 1 Magenta Mystery Snail, 3 Ottos, and this Friday the 10 Painted Fire Red Shrimp I got on Aquabid should arrive.

I think the plants you have chosen will look great!

After much deliberation i've come to the conclusion that I can't set up my 3 gallon as a shrimp tank.

It turns out there is nowhere in this place that can house it that either isn't accessible by a toddler or has a stable temperature.

So, i'm now turning my attentions to my 13 gallon Betta tank which is in desperate need of rescaping.

Edited by MummyDJ