Sign in to follow this  
tarannosaurus

How many fancies can be kept in a 55 gallon tank?

Hello,

I thought there was a thread about this somewhere but I can't seem to find it. I currently have 3 fancy goldfish in a 55 gallon tank. It's running on a Fluval 305 and an AquaClear 110. I do large water changes (at least 50%) twice a week.

I also have two Rain Garden fancies on hold. For some reason, I was always under the impression I could keep 5 in this tank, but now I am concerned about overstocking. Would it be okay to keep 5 fancy goldfish in this tank considering my filtration and frequent water changes?

I would not do 5 in a 55. I would do 3 max. :D

Twenty gallons per fish is the minimum I believe is safe in regards to stocking. Some go as little as fifteen, though.

Five fish is too many for a fifty five gallon aquarium. Three would be your maximum stocking limit.

Edit: Sniped! :rofl

Edited by ChelseaM

I absolutely agree with Lisa--three maximum.

I would not do 5 in a 55. I would do 3 max. :D

exactly! 2-3 fish is good for a 55 gallon :)

3, under normal circumstances.

I have 4, but that requires a ton more commitment that tolerates absolutely no slacking off.

All of our stocking recommendations assume excellent filtration and large regular water changes. If you don't do that, you should have fewer fish than recommended.

Three Goldfish.

All of our stocking recommendations assume excellent filtration and large regular water changes. If you don't do that, you should have fewer fish than recommended.

^^This. For some, one fish in a 55 might be overstocked. :yikes

also remember that rain garden goldfish tend to be on the larger size ;)

Aghhh. Disappointing. So glad I asked though. :)

Thanks guys.

We're glad you asked too. Very responsible of you. :D

Aghhh. Disappointing. So glad I asked though. :)

Thanks guys.

Looks like you will need to get another tank :ehh

:D

3, under normal circumstances.

I have 4, but that requires a ton more commitment that tolerates absolutely no slacking off.

I have four, too :whistle

I think you should get them and start searching Craig's list for a 75! That would be 15 gallons per fish :)

I would love to get a 75 gallon. Or bigger lol. But I don't know when I will be able to do that so I'll just get one more for now.

3 is great number for a 55 gallon in my opinion, 4 is doable and if I ever stumble across the calico tele of my dreams I will have 4 ;)

but no more ;) and that's pushing it,and I do 2 x 75% w/c weekly ;)

I have 9 goldfish in a 100 Gallon, however I have a 30 gallon sump that pumps 800 GPH, I also finally finished my project that I got from Urajoey on youtube and I have a continuous drip system from a RO unit, about 30 gallons gets changed every day. I also do a 80% water change every 6 days. I did this on a very small budget, being in my new house and everything, I spent about $150 on this project instead of buying a new tank and and filter system. You could have 5 goldfish in a 55, however I would only do so with daily water changes and a great filtration system.

I have 9 goldfish in a 100 Gallon, however I have a 30 gallon sump that pumps 800 GPH, I also finally finished my project that I got from Urajoey on youtube and I have a continuous drip system from a RO unit, about 30 gallons gets changed every day. I also do a 80% water change every 6 days. I did this on a very small budget, being in my new house and everything, I spent about $150 on this project instead of buying a new tank and and filter system. You could have 5 goldfish in a 55, however I would only do so with daily water changes and a great filtration system.

That sounds really interesting. Could you send me the link for that project?

Excellent! Your sump adds to your total volume, and increased water change has the same effect as increasing volume. You probably have the equivalent of a 200-300 gallon tank with typical maintenance.

I'm a strong believer in the value of a steady state system. I would add 80 gallons each 6 days to the drip rate rather than doing a a separate 80 gallon water change. The only water I change other than with the drip is when I clean pumps, filters, or remove debris from tank/pond bottoms. That's no disagreement with what you are doing -- it's fantastic.

Joey is a treasure!

That solid state system sounds like a dream!!

I'd like to point out, though, that these fish will become more stressed as they grow if so many are kept in a restricted environment. Keeping many fish in not enough space can often lead to 'territorial' disputes.

I'm not so sure of that Chelsea. I think much of the "stress from crowding" is poor water quality and much of the rest from just plain tiny tanks. My pond fish at any given time are occupying less than 1/4 of the pond space. Goldfish like company. Nine fish in a 100 gallon tank have plenty of space to be with or away from their tankmates as they prefer.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen goldfish who grew up together develop territorial disputes in later life..

I'm not so sure of that Chelsea. I think much of the "stress from crowding" is poor water quality and much of the rest from just plain tiny tanks. My pond fish at any given time are occupying less than 1/4 of the pond space. Goldfish like company. Nine fish in a 100 gallon tank have plenty of space to be with or away from their tankmates as they prefer.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I haven't seen goldfish who grew up together develop territorial disputes in later life..

I'm more thinking about the fifty five gallon for that instance. It doesn't have very wide a footprint.

Yes, the swimming space and surface area of the 55 is poor for the volume.

That solid state system sounds like a dream!!

I'd like to point out, though, that these fish will become more stressed as they grow if so many are kept in a restricted environment. Keeping many fish in not enough space can often lead to 'territorial' disputes.

I do agree to a point, the tank is 6 feet long and 2.5 feet tall, its huge it might even be a 120, not sure. My next project in the next few months is to custom build a tank, I have a buddy in my local fish club that builds tanks, this one I have in mind will occupy an entire wall on my enclosed sun porch that can be temperature controlled year round. My dream tank, it is going to be 250-300 gallons, the ultimate tank. My buddy will help me build it for free, I just have to buy the materials, I will hook him up with lots of free coffee :thumbup2: