Sign in to follow this  
Kiara1125

New Pond! [fancies]

So, I FINALLY convinced my father to let me have an outdoor pond. Only thing, it has to be above ground, so it can't get taxed. I'm planning on a 50g Ruubermaid Roughneck Tote from Menards. I'm going to have a filter that my lfs recommended [after I check out the specs of it] and I'm going to have wire mesh covering the top of the container. There's a REALLY bad heron and raccoon problem here and blah. :/ So, I was also going to add some plants and some gravel. I don't want to spend a whole bunch of money [everything is coming out of MY pocket], so I'm thinking about trying to find a large quantity of cheap gravel or some large river rocks. I'm also going to have some large PVC pipes in the pond [if they're big enough] so my goldfish can hang out in them. They love the decor of my tank and love sleeping in the terra cotta pots. So, I think I might add a few of those as well. As long as my goldfish can't hurt themselves, they're fine. For cycling, I'm going to be getting some feeder goldfish. I'll treat them for diseases, but I just want to cycle the pond. If they live, then yay! I'm not getting a whole bunch. I'm going to slowly add one goldfish at a time every other week to adjust the pond to having them. I'm also going to have a TON of plants that I'm currently growing in there, so that will help with the nitrates.

So, in total, I'm going to have a filtered 50g rubbermaid tote with a ton of plants, gravel/river rocks, terra cotta pots, and 4 fancy goldfish [you can see their sizes in my info to the left] along with any feeders that survive. How does that sound? If anyone can give me some tips or advice, that'd be great. I'll post tomorrow about the specs of the filter. I'm only earning $50 every other week, so it'll take me a week just to get the 50g tote, the mesh, and the possible filter. I'm gonna need at least $30 for a 25lb bag of gravel at my lfs. So, everything is quite pricey. lol

Still, I would love your input on this, seeing as how it's my first pond and a complete DIY, except for the filter. I don't feel comfortable drilling any holes in the tote, so if anyone could give me any tips/advice with that, then I'd really appreciate it.

Edited by Kiara

Congrates.

With a pond you normally dont want gravel or rocks on the bottom.

It harbours bad bacteria etc and makes it alot harder to clean.

My pond is a bare bottom pond and has now formed a good carpet algae.

My plants are in pots.

Shakako has sand on the bottom of her pond if you want that.

But id suggest save your $$ and go bare bottom. The algae will eventually cover it.

honestly 50g for 4 goldies is a bit cramped. the more space you give them the better! Not to mention you can get a good stock tub that is probably around the same footprint but just higher so you can increase gallonage while maximizing space. I have play sand on the bottom of my pond to make my fish really stand out but it's a very fine layer.

I'd have to order it online then, which I can't do. 50g is the largest around here. Also, with their size, it's still enough. They're not going to be cramped, so I'm not sure what the problem is here. They'll have enough oxygen, filtration, and room to move.

As for the gravel, I could just go bare bottom. It would save me a LOT of money. I'm mainly going to do with floating plants and such. I'm going to put half of my hornwort in there and see how it grows. I wish I still had my frogbit. I wonder how much i would cost for good pond plants ... my boyfriend paid $20 just for a small plant for his pond. Granted, it has beautiful flower now, but, with my luck, I'd kill any plant I bought. x_x

*WHY does my T key keep not wanting to press down. Press you! PRESSSS!!!*

Edited by Kiara

Please do not use a large tote. I have used that one. It really only holds 40 gallons since there are those vents below the handles. Then you have to build a frame to hold it in shape. The first one I used needed 3 months to spring a leak. The second one has been in use about that long and the water level is starting to drop, so there is probably a leak. These things are designed for storage, not holding water, and are not intended to be used outside. The only reason I have three of them is that they were on sale very cheap.

Instead, go to a farm store (There is no place in IN without a farm store in driving distance.) and get a stock tank. This one is quite reasonable and holds water without any modifications. The 110 gallon one is even better.

As others have said, forget the gravel. Please tell us what the filter is that your LFS recommended. You can build a filter for very little expense that will work as well as one you would buy for $200-$300 (not counting the pump). Please start reading some threads on building a filter.

Here are some to start with:

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/98620-upgrading-the-instant-pond/

http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/100931-mini-bog-filter-for-aquarium-or-container-pond/

Do NOT get additional goldfish to cycle your pond. If they die, you can assume that they had diseases or parasites, and you will have to disinfect the pond and filter and start over. If they live, you will need a bigger pond to hold all the fish. The best way to cycle a pond is to build the pond and the filter, add plants that are growing in some soil, put in one of your fish and watch your ammonia and nitrite. If you have readings of either, change water to keep it down. It usually takes three weeks to cycle a pond, so if your parameters are fine, add a second fish after 3 weeks. Keep checking parameters and if you don't see ammonia or nitrite, add a fish a week until they are all in.

Good advice so far. Don't fight it.

Building a filter is a far cheaper option like Shakaho has said. I recently began buying the stuff I need for mine and it is already going to be much larger than my canister (I paid $100's for) and I've spent $67 on the supplies excluding the pump (the container I bought for it costed me $40). Will probably be a much more efficient filter for a pond, and is saving a lot of money.

Good luck with your pond!