Sign in to follow this  
soupmonster

Where do you buy Live worms

I would like to introduce bloodworm or some similar protein treat for my fishes. Preferably a type that doesn't typically constipate. As I have never fed these, I don't know where to buy or who is a good supplier/brand. I haven't seen any sold live near my area. Also, how much or how often (maximally) am I allowed to feed these?

Personally, I would go with a frozen brand instead of live. This helps to ensure that the worms are parasite free because they can be sterilized, as well as allowing them to keep longer. :)

Hikari and San Francisco Bay Brand are both very good.

I feed bloodworms 3 or 4 times a week for my fish because they are still growing and I want wen development!

Edited by ChelseaM

I feed mine the Hikari Jumbo Worm's and they do great with them.

Do you have a Petsmart or Petco near you? I believe they sell them. They keep them in the fish section in a little freezer. I actually bought some last week for the first time at a different local pet store. (family owned I think) Anyway, I bought two packages that were about $14.00 for both. I bet they are cheaper at the stores I mentioned above. Hopefully someone else will let you know if they purchased at one of those places. I'm guessing my food that I bought should last at least a couple of months. I'll probably feed twice a month.

The frozen blood worms come in individual little cube packages. I just cut one out and place it in some shallow hot water for a couple of minutes to thaw it. Then I just peel the foil off and put the worms in a small dish. I take some tweezers to get those little worms and feed the fish. I either let the worms drop in the tank or the fish will grab and eat off of the tweezers. I turn off my filters when I feed my fish.

Thanks for sharing your worm feeding experiences everyone! I will double check to see if my local retailers are carrying today. If not, I know of some good brands now. I appreciate the feeding advice too. Will double check this thread when I start feeding.

I use the brands Chelsea had said above. I wish I had purchased larger worms. Mine are pretty small but my fish have no problem gobbling them up. When I'm done with these I'm definitely getting the next size up on worms though. Have fun feeding your fish. :)

Hehe I will have fun. What's the difference between big and small worms?

The only difference is the size. They still have the same general nutritional value. :) The small ones are just used with smaller fish, the jumbos with larger ones, and standard with everyone in between. It's all for obvious reasons.

i feed blackworm and the result is healthy fat goldfish.try this and your fish will go crazy :happydance

http://aquaticsuppliers.com/Freeze-Dried-Australian-Blackworms-The-Original_c6.htm

here is the review of blackworm from the customer

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?59-Aquaticsuppliers.com-(Al-Sabetta)-Northford-Connecticut

Edited by saltdiscus

Hello,

Freeze dried foods are generally not recommended for goldfish, because as the rehydrate and expand in the goldfish, this could cause serious issues with their digestive systems. This is particularly true with the more compacted fancy goldfish.

Hello,

Freeze dried foods are generally not recommended for goldfish, because as the rehydrate and expand in the goldfish, this could cause serious issues with their digestive systems. This is particularly true with the more compacted fancy goldfish.

thanks i didnt know that i been feeding them without any problem.ill stop feeding them.

I think that might be prudent. It seems to me that while some never develop SB issues, many (if not most) goldfish are on a trajectory to developing at least some amount of problems having to do with the swim and bladder and/or floatiness. Keeping them in ponds, as I understand it, will slow this down, as is choosing more "compatible" food. It won't stop it completely, but will certainly help. :)