Is It Fungus?

Guest Filmstar

Guest Filmstar

;) Hi All! Newbie here!

I have 2 adorable immature fish in a 30 liter tank, with a filter.

This week, one got a "white streak" on the front of his dorsal fin. (He's black, so it is obvious!) He is frisky and happy, good condition otherwise - but I am a little scared it may be fungus or bad tank conditions (I filter and do 20% water change every two days).

Should I be worried? I can't see if the patch is "fuzzy" like fungus, he moves to darn fast!

Concerned, :blink:

C.

Greetings and welcome to the board! :welcome

It might be possible that the black is starting to fade out. Let's

see if someone else has any ideas. :welcome

Guest Filmstar

:huh: No - I think it looks unnatural, and soft. Also my guys are very little - I haven't noticed any other color changes yet.

Can we upload pictures here? I have a pict I took yesterday.

:)

New members don't have the ability to post pics, but you can

email it to me and I can post it for you! Include your username

so I know who the pic belongs to.

paul_myers94@charter.net

Guest Filmstar

Thank you Paul - I have emailed them to you.

I showed the picts at the fish store and they said it looks like fungus - so I have tried to treat with Tetra Fungus Remover. Nothing happening yet... just lots of yellow water!

C.

Guest Hutchtaz

I have a betta that seems to always be getting fungus. I tried a lot of products on him. I love, and I mean, love Jungle Fungus Eliminator. It seems to work overnight. So, if you don't have luck with the Tetra, try the Jungle.

Guest Filmstar

I have read in a few posts that people have luck with salting for fungus - is there truth in this? If so, does someone have a good link "how-to"?

C.

Guest Hutchtaz

If you go into the forum Disease Treatments, about 1/2 way down on the first page you will see a post entitled -salt and his many uses. It was started by Ranchugirl. If you read through there you will find a lot info. about salt.

Hope this helps.

Guest martinez14pr

salt will only slow fungus growth if it really is fungus. usually the kind of fungus we see on our fish is due to a bacterial infection WHICH, due to this confusion, many rememdies that say they are for fungus really include antibacterial meds. i would recommend salt first, if that doens't work within a few days, add the jungle fungus stuff it's GREAT!! and i haven't had any bad experience mixing salt and jungle.

Guest Filmstar

Thanks you guys! (Hutch, Martinez)

Some super articles on salting - I am very interested to try it, it seems more natural!

I think the med. is playing havoc with my guys' feces tonight - they have super bubbly and sticky poop - all stuck to their long tails! UGH! Poor guys! Hope it clears up as meds. lessen.

Also, I checked out this Jungle Product website - never heard of it over here (Denmark). I have written them, asking if they ship international... doubt it, as they are an American company. I've read some great reviews on their products.

C. :happydance

Here's photo 2.

It almost looks like the lead ray on the dorsal fin is missing.

That would give the whiteish look to it. But, I'm open for

other opinions.

post-10-1080259827.jpg

Guest Filmstar

No lead Ray? Hmmm, is this bad?

When I look closely - there is no strong "edge" to the start of his dosal fin, like my other little guys. Looks a little "jagged" (not fin rot jagged), but not a smooth arch.

I have treated for 24 hours now with Tetra - and it doesn't really seem to have a big effect. Maybe a little less white? Maybe my eyes deceive me! He's really small.

But there is a definate "streak" there, right up the front of the fin.

Still observing, :unsure:

C.

(Thanks for posting picts., I know they are not the clearest).

Guest tooterfish

hi

i first found koko's when my Little Fish had what i thought was a fungus.

i had treated with Jungle Fungus Eliminator for 4 days without it changing, it was spreading.

it first started as a white spot on her tail fin, right where the tail meets the body.

after i had been treating for 4 days and having it spread i put up a pix

www.tooterfish.com/littlefish.jpg This is at least 4 days into it, when it started it was just a strip of white.

this actually turned out to be a bacterial infection (i think she may have scratched herself initionally) there was a fungus present but it was using to infection to its advantage. once i got the right medicine, the infection cleared, and no more fungus either.

could your fish have scratched his dorsal fin on something?

this may not be what is going on with your fish, just what i went through.

-Toot

Guest Filmstar

Thanks Toot!

I am still monitoring the situation... it's not spreading, but not going away either.

He could have scraped himself - he is an aggressive little maniac! :lol: I have nothing particularly sharp in the tank (just gravel and live plants)

He still has lots o' energy, so I think that is a good sign...

C.

When your fishy is swimming around, does the dorsal fin stay up

or does it flop down? I've got one little dude who has a break 1/4

the way up on the lead ray. When he starts swimming it folds

down, almost like streamlining. Then once he stops, it perks

back up.

Guest Filmstar

Very interesting!

Yes, when my guy swims, the whole dorsal fin folds back. It pops up when he stops however. It appears that the top 1/4 of the lead ray is gone. Doesn't effect his swimming, however!

I appreciate all the great ideas and thoughts on this thread. :D It looks like I have survived my first fishy "crisis" (probably more of a crisis for me than the fish??!) "Black nose", my fishy, has the fuzzy fungus cleared up - if indeed it was that. The white strip is a little smaller today.

Boy, I never knew there was so much to goldfish! :blink:

C.

Archived