Sign in to follow this  
anastasiam

Is 78F too hot?

Hello everyone! I know this has been a talked about topic, but I figured I'd start a new thread...

My issue is that my tank water likes to sit about 78F-80F during the days. I've started noticing some stress marks on my two older goldfish's tails... Is this temp too hot for them? If so, what can I do to either cool it or take some of the stress off of them?

Thanks all :hi

P.S. I hope I put this in the right place...

I don't think 78-80* is too hot. Do you have an airstone? What temp is the tank typically? :idont

What signs of stress are you seeing? I'm assuming your tank is cycled . . .

:teehee sorry for all the questions

Warmer water carries less oxygen so need to make sure they get enough aeration in their tank when it's hot.

Its totally fine! Thanks for the speedy response!

During the summer months the water gets pretty warm... Usually about this temp, with the occasional spikes up to about 82F. In the evening the water usually drops to about 75F. The temp in the cooler months can drop down to about 60F. I have two air curtains, A 35" and an 8": http://www.ebay.com/itm/350693658728?hlp=false&var=

With that being said, should I get a couple more?

My tank has been cycled for over a year now with one HOB and an Ehiem canister filter :thumbs: . I should have been more specific on the stress remark, sorry lol. I've been seeing a little bit of red streaking in my Ryukin and some darker spots on the tail of my moor (granted she's black so it's a little harder to tell). Other than that, everyone seems to be in good spirits.

Edited by anastasiam

How are your nitrates? :idont

Not too bad. They tend to hover between 10ppm (tap and after a big WC) and about 20. The highest it has gotten was about 40ppm around last week. I was so busy with school and my friend in labor, my fishies kind of took a back seat :(.

It should be fine for short periods of time, but if you can you might want to lower room temp. so your tank doesn't get as hot.

When did the streaking start? :idont

I'd have to say the streaking for my moor has been noticeable for about a week now, the ryu is a little tougher to tell since she's had permanent streaking for awhile (alex had had me on tons of medicines, but it never seems to go away permanently) and LT doesn't seem to have any issues.

Edit: The streaking on the moor's tail isn't too bad, its just at a few spots on the end of her tail

Edited by anastasiam