Anubia's and plant food

I had posted a while ago about my anubias and this weird stuff on them, I thought it was algae, but it doesn't really come off easily,it looks like it's in the leaves if that makes any sense,now I'm wondering if maybe their not getting enough nutrients from fish waste and water,what do you add to feed your plants? how does it work?do I have to worry about my snails (the shrimp are being re homed ;)) Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated :)

What do they look like (what's not right about them--browning, yellowing, etc)?

I use Seachem Flourish and I've recently added some Seachem Potassium as some of the leaves were yellowing/getting brown spots. I've only added the potassium once so I don't know how it will work.

I have nerites in the tank and they do fine. What type of snails do you have? :idont

nerites as well and I had posted a topic about them being covered in algae (or i thought it was algae) but I also noticed some holes in the leaves and the spots don't come off they appear to be in the leaves

plant3.jpg

i did a bleach soak yesterday and they have been in primed water since, i will be adding them back to the tank later tonight but the spots above are still there :( doesn't come off not with finger rubbing, soft cloth or a veggie brush (which i have for the tank plants) i'm really upset :( I love my anubias :)

The green looks like algae to me. I scrub that off in small circles with a toothbrush. :)
I've been using Flourish Excel and my plants have been doing great. There's a lot less algae overall.

Have you changed the lighting/positioning of the tank at all? What kind of lighting do you have, and how old are the bulbs? How long has it been looking this way?

Holes in the leaves are definitely a nutrient deficiency. What are your typical tank nitrate levels?

If it were me, I would go ahead and get some micro nutrients into the tank, just to cover the rest of your bases. I can't remember what seachem calls their equivalent, as I use dry ferts that I mix myself. I'm thinking that it might be Seachem Flourish? Anubias also tend to like iron, so their Flourish Iron might not be a bad idea either.

Flourish Excel, if you use it, is great at discouraging algae--if those spots disappear after using it, then you know what they were! Try dosing everything twice a week, starting at a half dose (suddenly dumping nutrients into the water column can flare up algae pretty quickly :peeka). <---Trust me on that. :rofl2

If it is some sort of nutrient missing, you should start to see am improvement within a month or two. It may not improve the look of the existing leaves; I'm not sure, but if it's a deficiency, your new leaves will come up looking better.

Edited by yafashelli

I agree with Tammy. If your anubias is starting to develop holes, there's a deficiency of some sort. To me most of it looks like algae; however, the larger discolourations look more like the leaf breaking down. If you end up with a leaf with masses of holes, you should trim it. Keeping leaves like that around only taxes the plant. The energy a plant uses to keep a leaf (or leaves) with holes alive could be put to better use.

Thanks everyone for all the input :) Dan I figured the same thing went with aquatic plants as do with house tropicals trim the dead dying leaves so the rest of the living plant got all it needed :)

So after my bleach and priming I replaced the plants (4 of them anyway) back into the goldfish tank 3 out of the 4 look so much better ;) but my big one my fav still has this crappy looking stuff on it :( here's a few new pics

Plant #1

021a.jpg

looks much better ;)

Plant #2

018a.jpg

still looks crappy :(

plant #3

019a.jpg

Better :)

Plant #4

020a.jpg

Better :)

so now any input would be great,I think this one plant has something else going on with it :(

otherwise it would have cleaned up like the rest right??

Edited by shellbell4ever