I give up!

I posted a while back about my oranda, "Big John" and my ranchu who had something similar to wen ulcers. I started meds (not I'm front of me right now and I can't think of it-my mind is in a million places). Not metro meds, the other feed through. The ranchus is almost completely gone/healed but big john's has gotten worse. It's starting to get around his eye. I decided to put him in a qt tank, and start anti bac bath. I just put him in the 20 gallon tank the night before last. This morning he is pine-coning! He was fine before I moved him/added the meds. Is this dropsy? Is there any way to treat it? Should I take him out of the medicated water? Help! I apologize for not keeping updated before, my life has been somewhat of a major mess lately... Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Apparently a 10 gallon tank is not suitable for qt. I'm appalled to find the ammonia at 4.0!!! I just put new water in the night before last, and I did a 30% water change per instructions of the meds (they say 25% but it was more than that). What should I do, take him out of that tank? Set up a 20 gallon qt? Is there any hope in saving my boy? :(

* Ammonia Level(tank) between 4.0!! Just set up 2 nights ago and did a 30% water change last night.

* Nitrite Level(tank) 0

* Nitrate level(tank) 40+

* Ammonia Level(tap) between 0 and 1

* Nitrite Level(tap)0

* Nitrate level(tap)40+

* Ph Level, Tank (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines) 8.2

* Ph Level, Tap (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)

Other Required Info:

* Brand of test-kit used and whether strips or drops? API freshwater drops

* Water temperature? 68* (approximate)

* Tank size (how many gals.) currently in a 10 gallon qt tank

* What is the name and "size of the filter" 20 gallon rated in-tank filter

* How often do you change the water and how much? Everyday, 25-50% per medication instructions

* How many days ago was the last water change and how much did you change? last night, 30%

* How many fish in the tank and their size? Just big John in the qt tank

* What kind of water additives or conditioners? Prime

* What do you feed your fish and how often? 2X-3X day, been on medigold for 2 weeks

* Any new fish added to the tank? No

* Any medications added to the tank? Anti bac bath

* List entire medication/treatment history for fish and tank. Please include salt, Prazi, PP, etc and the approximate time and duration of treatment. PraziPro, medigold, salt

* Any unusual findings on the fish such as "grains of salt," bloody streaks, frayed fins or fungus? Head wound/sore, raised scales

* Any unusual behavior like staying at the bottom, not eating, etc.? Lethargic, lost interest in food.

I would like you to do a 100% WC to get out the salt, ammonia, and medication. Could I please have a top view picture of him? By the way you describe his condition between raised scales, not eating, and being lethargic, it sounds like dropsy. Please wait for a mod to confirm though.

Okay, I need you to do a 100% WC and get him out of all the medication and salt. He does have dropsy. Do you have Epsom salt? I would like you to when you finish the 100% WC add 1/4 tsp. of it. Get a heater on the tank and get it to 75 degrees. Don't raise it more than 1-2 degrees per hour though. Don't add any medication, just the Epsom salt and double dose Prime. Do you have Metro-Meds? You will need them. Also, please weigh the fish, we need to know the weight so we can tell you how many pellets of MM he will need. Here is a link on how to weigh your fish.

Actually, this is what I would like to be done for now:

- daily 100% WCs, or even twice a day

- 1/4 teaspoon Epsom per 10 gallons water.

- no heat

- no other meds.

- please find metronidazole powder AND order Metro-Meds from goldfishconnection.com, but do not use.

Update us at least once a day. How is his appetite.

I need to ask everyone trying to help in the thread to please DO NOT make treatment recommendations. Leave that to the mod team, or a very senior member. In this case, everything is pointing to the fact that the dropsy may be related to the medication. The last thing we want to do is to add even more medication to the fish without trying to see it it's the meds that's damaging his kidneys. :(

I sure appreciate it! Big John weighs 238 grams. I do have metro meds, I do not currently have Epsom salt, but I can get some tomorrow, unless its urgent for today. ("Town" is a good 1/2 hour away and I've already been out this morning!). But I'll do anything to save my fishie!

Thank you, Alex! Ok so I'm doing 100% water change now, and then everyday (or twice a day) and nothing else? (Except adding the Epsom salt- which ill have to go get). I do have a new bag of metro meds as well as some powder. I should hold off on using these until I update you in a day or two? Thanks again.

Thank you, Alex! Ok so I'm doing 100% water change now, and then everyday (or twice a day) and nothing else? (Except adding the Epsom salt- which ill have to go get). I do have a new bag of metro meds as well as some powder. I should hold off on using these until I update you in a day or two? Thanks again.

We will decide about the additional medication within the next couple of days, but considering the fact that the dropsy occurred while he was in the anti-bac bath is at least very suggestive that the kidney damage might be coming from the meds. So, we will have to see.

How is his activity level? Is he eating?

If possible, I would like to have him in Epsom ASAP. You can buy this at any store, including Walmart, so I don't know if there is anything closer to you. Whatever the case, call first to check.

Hang in there!

No meds until further advised please. WCs, Epsom salt, and no MediGold and see how he does. Please update again tomorrow (or sooner if you notice changes) if you can.

Is his appetite good? Have you been feeding MediGold exclusively? Any idea how much MediGold he's getting per day? :idont

Oops, sniped by Alex. :peeka

Edited by fantailfan1

Ok, he's in clean water and I found some Epsom salt under the sink! He's been on medigold exclusively for about 2 weeks (for the wen sore/ulcer). Just last night and today he doesn't seem interested in food at all. He's not swimming around much, just kind of floating in one area. He will kinda float to the side and look weak, then straighten himself and look ok for a while. The anti bac bath I just ordered 2 weeks ago as well, so it shouldn't be old? I will update again this evening!