Sign in to follow this  
blackmoors

how cold is to cold?

Ive moved some fish into a new tank in a different room and just a bit worried its a bit cold.

Water temp was 15c approx 58f ?

I moved my heater into the room to warm the air in there and the tank is now 17.5c the fish seem a bit more active now.

They were just sorta sitting on the bottom and moving every now and then. Unless food was involved lol.

15C is a little cold for fancy goldfish, they require warmer tempst to assist in digestion. at 15C i would be feeding very lightly, every other day and only 1 feed on that day. be sure to be feeding them with foods that are easy to digest like steamed vegetables or something similar.

preferred temps are from about 22C to about 25-26C.

i think it would be cheaper if you purchased a tank heater & installed it. this way, you're warming the tank direct and not the entire room. check online for the he heater you require to heat the volume water you have.

Yeah im thinking a tank heater is the go. But cant get one til tomorrow as shops are shut. Hence the room heater.

Im thinking a 200watt heater should help for now.

Thanks for the indication of temp.

Our tank gets down to around 15C (possibly even colder some nights) during winter nights. It warms up slowly during the day to about 17/18 and then drops slowly throughout the night. Our fish slows down and is fed less for the couple of months when it is this cold. In short, we let him go into a light form of hibernation (although he is never completely 'asleep'). As it begins to warm up outside, his tank rewarms and he becomes more active.

This has been his cycle for 2.5 winters with no ill effects. We haven't used a heater for a number of reasons, none of which likely applies to you (we have no central heat).

i would invest in a tank heater as well :)

hope your fish cheer up :) what was the reason you moved them??

Soon as the lfs opens today im heading in to get one.

I moved them because I needed a tank for some new fish.

And seeing as this tank is bigger I figured bigger fish... bigger tank.

Our tank gets down to around 15C (possibly even colder some nights) during winter nights. It warms up slowly during the day to about 17/18 and then drops slowly throughout the night. Our fish slows down and is fed less for the couple of months when it is this cold. In short, we let him go into a light form of hibernation (although he is never completely 'asleep'). As it begins to warm up outside, his tank rewarms and he becomes more active.

This has been his cycle for 2.5 winters with no ill effects. We haven't used a heater for a number of reasons, none of which likely applies to you (we have no central heat).

In contrast to having ill effects, I expect that this will actually extend Newton's life by some not inconsiderable amount of time at the least. :)