Building an above ground pond

Narny105

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Shakaho. Yes, I decided against building the pond last night. It's too expensive and I am not asking for money I can't pay back from my parents. I was going to wait until I went back to work. I'd have to get council permission to dig and fence it so that would be too costly for me too.

Thanks for that link! I called them up and inquired and they ship to my local produce store free of charge, and I can have it delivered from there by truck to my house. They are 10 minutes away from me but probably will organise delivery. The shape is awkward though, so might decide on the 500L one- I am not planning to get more goldfish other than the four I have. I'll need to get the ground properly supported if I were to get the 1000L one as it will be going on the grass. It would sink into the ground.

I also really like the idea of a frame like this around a round pond base:

which can probably be done for no more than $100. I saw these a few days ago and liked the finished look Edited by Narny105

Just ordered a 500L one in green :) 1000L was too 'in the way' for the shape when I measured out the area where it's going

Edited by Narny105

person at the store called me up wanting a deposit , then wanted me to set a deposit amount? I've got to go in and pay a $50 deposit before it's ordered, so doing that tomorrow

Edited by Narny105

Good, so you've finally decided to purchase one off the self. I always prefer to either build out of bricks or choose one of these formal ponds, you can always sell it off later if you change your mind. You should be able to get back at least half it's cost.

http://www.tankmaster.com.au/mast_formal_ponds.asp

I'm so pleased with myself for finding an appropriate stock tank in Australia. I have always failed trying to find one for people in Europe.

When you are designing the surround, think about how to create a cover, particularly one that is raised so you have room for plants.

Thanks a bunch, Shakaho!

Started building the filter. It's 20L capacity so not as big as I wanted but it will suit for the size of the pond. Following the filter building instructions you have on here, so thanks! I'm shortening the long rod at the top, but will wait until I get the pond here.

I couldn't find tee elbow joints at all to make a tube base, so trying bunnings later. I also have to get a hole saw bit for the drill. I tried the masters that opened a few months ago and they're really cheap but don't stock as much as bunnings unfortunately

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I almost always have to shorten the vertical pipe, since I want to err on the side of too long rather than too short. Even if it is too short, one has lots of pipe (here they come in 10 foot lengths), so it's just a matter of cutting another piece.

If you have any questions as you go, just ask.

Thank you very much for the help, Sharon! And everyone else too :)

The filter has been completed, minus a few little bits, but I am awaiting my sponge to arrive first. I couldn't get matala anywhere in store, and the only place that offered it wouldn't compromise on me buying a smaller size than what they offer- and I wasn't paying $125 for it. I ended up ordering a 100ml thick piece of filter sponge instead.

All I am waiting for now is the pond and sponge! :)

As for the pond, I am wanting to attach a valve to the side near the bottom of it so I can attach a hose and use the tank water to use on the garden weekly. Would this be fine to do?

The function of the matala is not filtration, but to support the biomedia. If you put a sponge down there, be prepared to remove the biomedia to get the sponge out for cleaning on a weekly basis, maybe more often. You will know when it clogs because the flow will drop or even stop. Anything highly porous and rigid can replace the matala. I have used a plastic dinner plate in which I drilled many 3/8" holes. You can use a colander, many people use "eggcrate" light diffusers -- anything rigid that allows free flow of water.

Flushing your filter provides the best garden water. That's why I use a dump valve that I can put a hose on. If you want to put a "bottom drain" in your pond, I suggest you connect it to a settling chamber.

A settling chamber is a separate container that collects water from the bottom of the pond by gravity. Ideally, the bottom of the chamber should be lower than the bottom of the pond, and the top must be at least as high as the top of the pond. Then you put your pump in the settling chamber (not on the bottom) and pump the water from there to the filter. A dump valve on the settling chamber provides irrigation water that is greatly enriched with crud, much like the water from cleaning a filter.

I suggest you not do this yet. I built one using a siphon rather than a bottom drain and it took me a long time and many rebuilds to get it to work. If you do it wrong you can wind up with overflows. It's better to start simple. But I strongly suggest you set up a continuous water change system like what I describe here. You can collect the overflow water in a container and use that for your garden.

Ok, thank you. I'll use something else instead of the sponge, and use the sponge elsewhere.

I built my filter off of the one you provided in this link, including a dump valve at the bottom for draining. I've got some nice bunches of Devils Ivy to put inside the filter which should do very well and 'hide' the filter somewhat into the surrounding garden

I just realised the trough I bought already has a 2inch drain bung at the bottom, so I guess I can utilise that in the future.

I really like the idea of the continuous water change system and will definitely be doing that. As for the overflow, how do I go about setting that up?

Edited by Narny105

The overflow is shown in the same link as you used for the filter in post #10. It's the simplest thing in the world. I have one in every water container I use outside for fish or plants. Cut a hole, put in a uniseal, run a piece of pipe through it, put an elbow on the inside end, cut a piece of pvc pipe long enough to reach from the elbow almost to the bottom, stick it in the elbow. Done.

• 2 weeks later...

Got a call from the produce store this afternoon saying that the trough has arrived! Pretty excited, but I'll have to pick it up next weekend when I am back in Brisbane. I'm very keen to get it :rofl

I've finished the filter and automatic water change system. All I have to do is set it all up and get an overflow onto it. Hopefully the fish will be in the pond within the next two to three weeks!

• 2 weeks later...

Finding it hard to get it all done since I'm back at Uni, but I'm home this weekend and can hopefully get it up and running!

I do have a question with the filter. I requested smaller sheets of Matala which the store has kindly gotten in stock, so ill be buying that this weekend, but in the meantime I am using a thin sponge sheet to support my ceramic media. Other than the ceramic media, what should I put in the filter? I'm kind of lost there haha

Here's a picture of the trough. It's really nice and sturdy. Inside it is a 48L bin which will be my drip reservoir

Posted Image

Ceramic media is not suitable for this kind of filter. It's the equivalent of putting stones of the same size in the filter only 100s of times more expensive, but you can put in a cycled bag of it to seed the filter if you like. My favorite commercial media is pvc ribbon, but you can use bioballs, or anything light weight, and not biodegradable. I have a box into which I toss stuff that I can use in a filter: plastic bottle caps, soda straws (which will be cut into pieces), nylon or plastic "scubbies," left over pieces of pipe or tubing cut into short lengths, nylon netting or screen (loosely knotted), scraps of matala or other filter media, etc. Google "cheap pond filter media" and you will find lots of ideas.