Building an above ground pond

Narny105

For the pump here in Aust. I looked at lots inc. cheap pumps but the power usage to flow killed off buying a cheap pump due to fact it runs 24/7.

I found Laguna pumps to be one of the most energy efficient and a reasonable price.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's still in use as are several others.

This link has all my blog posts about lined tubs:

http://...................blogspot.com/search/label/Plywood%20Lined%20Tub

If you want to build that design, i suggest you e-mail the author and ask him how well it stood up. I'm sure you can't build it for $35, since the plywood alone is $39 at Home Depot (a "discount" store). The liner alone should be at least $35 here. I don't know what your costs look like.

Do you have to make it that small? A shallow pond like that can handle a few more fish than a deeper one, but 80 gallons is really tiny.

I would build a 2x4 frame, line the inside with plywood, put insulation between the 2x4s, then put in the pond liner, and finish off the outside and top as your bro recommended.

As for filtration, I built this container bog filter for use in my big green tub. (Although it is currently in use in another pond.)

What are your questions about filtration?

Edited by Ichthius

Narny, I thought you knew who it was. :)

Ichthius, I've always wondered if that nice tub was shallow enough that it wouldn't bow out. So I told Narny to ask you. :blush: Thanks for the info.

It bows a little bit but it's in a steel rack that also helps hold it's shape. If it was free standing I'd use some 2x4 or 2x2 as trim.

One trick is the plywood always has warp in it, install the warp so the walls bow in and the water pressure pushes it straight.

I feel a little silly not seeing the connection now, but no, I had no clue it was a member who ran that blog :rofl

Thank you! I will be using plywood for my interior wall, but I'm building an inner frame. I was looking at some online australian pond sites and it's extremely expensive- throwing out a $300 budget.

For filtration for a pond, I have a 20 litre canister filter filtering 2200lph which is suitable in terms of the filtration amount, but with the standard intake. Is this fine? It will definitely save a lot of money on filtration, since I am yet to find a pump here that I am happy with- I might as well invest in another canister for the cost of pumps here

Hi Narny, Have you consider building one out of building bricks instead of using plywood? I made a little 100L one with 12mm thick plywood for breeding last year. It's still good even though it is exposed to sunlight and rain. I did not use liners but painted it's interior with a pondsealer (remainder from last job) and the exterior I just use Solar Guard paint over it. All in plus a low stand cost less than A$50 (my own free labor). Imo plywood is not durable especially if it's for outdoors and large in size. Also from past experiences, canister filters are not suitable for goldfish, it get clogs easily and create lots bacteria problems in Summer. My friend also uses those pressurized canisters type and all his his died one by one with mainly dropsy or those that are still ar are either with stunted growth or floaty. My advice, it pays do your planning carefully as this is your first pond.

Cheers

Thanks lionchu!

I never considered bricks, so thanks. The filter is my main worry. I can order PVC pond liner easily enough, but the filter not so much.

What type of pump/ filtration do you run on the ponds?

All of my ponds are either containers or have concrete block walls. I have to use concrete blocks to form the walls of my in-ground ponds since Florida sand will not form a vertical wall. Even after the pond is filled, a heavy rain (and we have them regularly all summer) will reform the walls. Also, both of my in-ground ponds come about a foot above ground level, and that requires concrete blocks. Wood framed ponds are nice, but in FL, wood is known as termite food.

Thanks lionchu!

I never considered bricks, so thanks. The filter is my main worry. I can order PVC pond liner easily enough, but the filter not so much.

What type of pump/ filtration do you run on the ponds?

I'm currently building a new pond out of paving bricks, just like the last one which I built last year. I'll take a pic and show you later, it's very easy and more permanent. If you are going ahead with using wood, consider painting it with PondTite pond sealer instead of using a liner. (1 L cost about A$29 only)

http://www.bondall.com/titerange/pondtite.html

I use all kinds of diys, from box, trickle/bakki shower, K1 and OHF.

1L of that is much cheaper than any liner I've found so I'll be using it! How much do you think I would need for a 1x2x0.4 pond ?

That sounds great. I'll look forward to seeing some pictures! thanks!

You'll need 1L to cover 1.5 sqm and need to paint 2 coats. That blue color is very nice. Also during joining of your wooden planks, apply wood glue, such as liquid nail or PVA before screwing them together. For that size (1x2m) you'll need 16mm thick planks to ensure they don't bow.(I'm a bit worry about the 2m length) Another tip is to visit your local timber yard first to see what are their standard stock sizes before embarking into fixing your pond sizes. It can save you a bit of money there too. This way you can also have a good idea what's the total cost.

The pond is sitting underneath the deck (cement paving), so it still will get full sun for part of the day but majority of the day it will be shaded. Yes, it will need to be movable.

My brother wants to build a frame with treated pine wood (relatively cheap) and the interior will be lined with plywood (the vertical pine beams distance will depend on the thickness of the ply) and the external being either weather board of hard wood- I have decided on weather board.

I've got a black polyurethane sealant (waterproof) that I used on external door frames and have left over. I think that should be fine for the wood, though. But wood sealant is easy enough to get.

I had a look at some of those sealants last night and rather liked the look of the blue

I'll get on my phone and attach some pics

Didn't expect them to be so large and upside down, but generally that is the frame that we've planned to build. Set a budget of around $200 for the build, not including pond liner, filtration, etc. I'd love to go a lot cheaper than that if possible if you guys have tips!

e2ajuhy6.jpg

zydepyda.jpg

Edited by Narny105

That Bostik, if I'm not wrong won't do the job, you need those wood glue type as mentioned earlier not a sealant. My brick pond currently under construction, need to add one more course of bricks.

IMG_1891_zpsa44c9595.jpg

Edited by RanchuJeff

Thanks, and great pond!

I purchased a wood glue today as well as my pond pump from bunnings. I had a look at the ponds they do have there but none over 200L and all would need to be reinforced for above ground. Buying my pond liner paint on monday online, and should start building this coming week! I'm building my actual filter box this weekend if I can get the tools from my brothers house.

Getting excited :D

That Bostik, if I'm not wrong won't do the job, you need those wood glue type as mentioned earlier not a sealant. My brick pond currently under construction, need to add one more course of bricks.

IMG_1891_zpsa44c9595.jpg

Those bricks are really cool. Much more interesting than ours. What are the dimensions? Do you run rebar through all the courses? Here, we stagger each row of bricks so the center of each brick is at the joint between the bricks above and below it. It looks like yours are in line. Is that the usual way it is done where you are? I'm always fascinated by the differences in building materials and techniques in various countries. Sometimes the different materials and different names for materials make communication difficult, and that can get amusing.

Thanks, and great pond!

I purchased a wood glue today as well as my pond pump from bunnings. I had a look at the ponds they do have there but none over 200L and all would need to be reinforced for above ground. Buying my pond liner paint on monday online, and should start building this coming week! I'm building my actual filter box this weekend if I can get the tools from my brothers house.

Getting excited :D

Let the fun begin, once started there is no stopping. Please post your progress.

Those bricks are really cool. Much more interesting than ours. What are the dimensions? Do you run rebar through all the courses? Here, we stagger each row of bricks so the center of each brick is at the joint between the bricks above and below it. It looks like yours are in line. Is that the usual way it is done where you are? I'm always fascinated by the differences in building materials and techniques in various countries. Sometimes the different materials and different names for materials make communication difficult, and that can get amusing.

Thanks, they are 9x6 inch, use for paving. I got them real cheap as seconds. I don't put a bar thru' them as it a low pond (3 course high only) and if I were to stagger (looks better) each one then I'll have to cut the first or last one on each row. Later during rendering, I'll put in a big radius on all the 4 internal corners to strengthen it further. No, that's non standard as this is my lazy way of doing things, as this is not my day job, I go for the simple effective way, like a cowboy tradesman... lol.

Edited by RanchuJeff

Finally got a complete price and sorted out the build for it. Called up some places and sorted out where to get it. I had hoped to have bought the timber today.

Looking like it will cost a total of $700-1000 to completely build to finish which is a lot more than what I thought it would be for a 700L pond.

yep it's not cheap! The plywood that I need (17ml thick) costs $54 a sheet, and I'll need two but that will leave me enough to build a filter with it too.

The timber and ply isn't the biggest contribution though. It's more so the 4L Pondtite, pond pump, and just general exterior. The pond frame plus internal complete will only cost around $330, plus probably another $160 for the exterior wood and varnish to seal it

You are demonstrating why I always advise people to use a stock tank or other container for their first pond. The big ones sound expensive, but that's all you need -- no liner, no sealer, no supporting walls, no leak problems. You can make a decorative surround which just needs to be sturdy enough to support itself. The only pond you can build for less is a hole in the ground with a liner. Even that costs more for me, since our FL sand is so unstable that you need concrete block walls even underground. Concrete blocks are still the cheapest building material.

A 1000 l tank like these is ready for fish. You can pretty it up when you accumulate the funds.