Building an above ground pond

Narny105

So I got the OK from the parents to build an above ground pond. I want to make it 80-100 gallons, but long and shallow like in the link.

For 80-100 gallons, would this guide (below) be fine to follow? I just don't want to end up with a warping pond.

I am going to be building a bog filter for this tank, and already have chicken wire to go over the top of this.

I'm just curious as to what water maintenance would be like on something like this? It does get quite hot here in summer, so this is going directly underneath the deck and will have a garden put around it to make it much more appealing.

Here is the link I would like to follow:

http://...................blogspot.com.au/2011/02/plywood-lined-ranchu-tub.html

Thank you! :)

EDIT: Going to be using hardwood and not ply

Edited by Narny105

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yah, Alex! Good luck with the build. :D

I must confess, I read the title as "Building an above ground pool" and was most perplexed. :rofl

Yah, Alex! Good luck with the build. :D

I must confess, I read the title as "Building an above ground pool" and was most perplexed. :rofl

above-ground-pool-liner.jpg

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Smart Alex, I know what an above ground pool is. :P I wasn't sure why Alex was building one for goldfish. :rofl

Keep us posted with pictures as you build it!! :goodjob

But I must admit I kinda want one like Alex posted.........but NOT for my goldfish!! :thumbup2:

:rofl I will!

Anyway talked to my bro and he wants to do it with plywood but make some modifications so it's unbreakable and add some stuff on to make it look nice. Will probably build a fake frame around it so it looks like it's made out of hardwood- will blend in with the house that way. Will also make a frame around the top to hide the pond liner.

I am stuck on filtration though. HELP :rofl

Edited by Narny105

Cool beans! :thumbup2: Will you put ranchus in it the the GF garage says?

Can't wait to see the photos and how you filter it! :thumbs:

If you want to build that design, i suggest you e-mail the author and ask him how well it stood up. I'm sure you can't build it for $35, since the plywood alone is $39 at Home Depot (a "discount" store). The liner alone should be at least $35 here. I don't know what your costs look like.

Do you have to make it that small? A shallow pond like that can handle a few more fish than a deeper one, but 80 gallons is really tiny.

I would build a 2x4 frame, line the inside with plywood, put insulation between the 2x4s, then put in the pond liner, and finish off the outside and top as your bro recommended.

As for filtration, I built this container bog filter for use in my big green tub. (Although it is currently in use in another pond.)

What are your questions about filtration?

I wasn't sure why Alex was building one for goldfish. :rofl

It's all the rage right now! :rofl

I got a 10,000 gallon pool last summer and I wanted to cover all the holes and make/buy a makeshift filter for it. I didn't even ask I knew it would be an instant NO :rofl3

If you want to build that design, i suggest you e-mail the author and ask him how well it stood up. I'm sure you can't build it for $35, since the plywood alone is $39 at Home Depot (a "discount" store). The liner alone should be at least $35 here. I don't know what your costs look like.

Do you have to make it that small? A shallow pond like that can handle a few more fish than a deeper one, but 80 gallons is really tiny.

I would build a 2x4 frame, line the inside with plywood, put insulation between the 2x4s, then put in the pond liner, and finish off the outside and top as your bro recommended.

As for filtration, I built this container bog filter for use in my big green tub. (Although it is currently in use in another pond.)

What are your questions about filtration?

Thank you :)

I'm looking to pay no more than $200 for the build, but I haven't really set a final budget- just see what needs to be done. It's more so to get rid of the tank, since I assume ponds will require less water changes?

Size is an issue here- legally it needs to be properly fenced, so I don't want to go bigger than 150 gallons

Filtration is my main worry, but those links have really helped with building and plumbing. I do still have my 20L canister filter which I know my friend uses as his pond filter, but I do want to give a bog filter a go like you have done on your green tub. I am going out today to have a look at filter pumps to get some prices, but my main question with that is the sort of GPH/LPH I should aim for with the pump? The links you provided have cleared up construction for me :)

Diesel, Summer here gets to the high 30C but as I said this will be going in a shaded area so it won't be an issue provided it's not too shallow. I would like to start off moderately small first before getting more into ponds

Your pump should be listed at a lph/gph that is ~ twice the volume of the pond. We want to turn over the full volume of the pond each hour. The actual pump rate is usually about half of the listed rate -- which is what comes out of the pump just sitting in the water -- no filter , no hose, no lift.

The "muck bucket" I used for the container bog filter holds ~15 gallons, and that is plenty big enough for a 150 gallon pond. Right now it is doing a fine job on a pond of over 400 gallons. If you can't find a container of the appropriate size, you can build a box and line it.

Do you know exactly what the rules are? In most US communities, one has to fence anything deeper than 2 feet. At least where I live, just fencing the back yard (which most people do anyway to keep their dogs safe) is quite adequate even for a too-deep swimming pool like we have.

anything deeper than 300mm needs to be fenced, and mine will be around 400mm deep, but with the chicken wire over top I should get away with it. It's in a secluded area anyway.

I'm now looking at 200 gallons (1.2x1.6x0.4). Made up a plan with the interior measurements. My brother is going to get the wood for me, and we will build a frame then plywood as the interior wall, and some hardwood to give it a nice external finish.

I am wanting to buy some sort of paint liner for the interior ply wood, similar to liquid rubber but I can't remember the name. Do you know what it is? It will essentially water proof it then I can lay my liner in.

I found a good pond filter that covers what you've said, but I haven't bought it just yet since it's pretty expensive.

Thanks for the help!

That is going to be exciting. I like that your looking into 200 gallons now over just 80. That's a huge difference and your fish will love it. I too think it would be neat to keep us posted w/ photo's of how your coming along with your project. Then you'll have them to look back on. :)

Yep, I'll build with photos and add the plan here, too! I'm building my filter this week, and in two weeks starting the actual pond. My brother goes back to work tomorrow for two weeks, so when he comes back we'll begin :) It's very exciting!

I'll probably stick with the three fish I have and look at adding more after Uni finishes for the year

anything deeper than 300mm needs to be fenced, and mine will be around 400mm deep, but with the chicken wire over top I should get away with it. It's in a secluded area anyway.

I think a cover counts as a fence, or at least you have an argument, LOL .

I'm now looking at 200 gallons (1.2x1.6x0.4). Made up a plan with the interior measurements. My brother is going to get the wood for me, and we will build a frame then plywood as the interior wall, and some hardwood to give it a nice external finish.

Just one practical consideration. I like a pond that is narrow enough that I can easily reach the bottom of the pond from the side. So I would make the pond more like 1x2 m. I also think the fish swim more in a longer pond, and our overfed babies do need their exercise. I love the depth.

I am wanting to buy some sort of paint liner for the interior ply wood, similar to liquid rubber but I can't remember the name. Do you know what it is? It will essentially water proof it then I can lay my liner in.

Since your liner is waterproof, I'm not sure why you want to waterproof the inside of the pond (or do I read you wrong?) There are paints designed for boats. what I'm more concerned about is the hardwood exterior. Water always gets slopped on the outside of ponds, so make sure you have a very good sealer and/or varnish.

I found a good pond filter that covers what you've said, but I haven't bought it just yet since it's pretty expensive.

I assume you meant pump. I don't know how costs differ down under, but I can get a 400 gph pump for $20-$40. Pond pumps, even most cheap ones, are generally very reliable. You should look at the energy use by the pump. Many cheap pumps cost a lot more than more expensive ones if you also consider the cost of running them. That probably concerns your parents more than you, but they will appreciate it if you look for an energy efficient pump.

Thanks for the help!

Edited by shakaho

Thanks, I'll fit it to the 1mx2m measurements. Might also fit more comfortably that way!

I'm buying treated pine wood for the support frame so it doesn't rot, and I have some good quality sealant left over from sealing the deck, so that should be fine for the interior plywood. I think that's what my brother wanted the waterproof paint liner for, but not too sure.

Didn't really think about water damage on the hardwood exterior, but the deck varnish should be good. Might even lean towards weatherboard for the exterior depending on costs and reliability. Still planning :P

If you are finishing with something that matches the house, you should be fine finishing it the way the house is finished. The house gets wet too. My concern is that people often post pictures of their beautiful newly-built pond, but seldom show what it looks like a year or two later. If the wood isn't properly sealed it isn't going to be pretty.