Corner Aquariums!

Hi all,

I'm new here and relatively new to keeping goldies. Before this, I always kept bettas. However, a friend of mine had a tiny 25-gallon tank stuffed with five goldfish, which I believe to be comets, and when she was ready to rehome them, I jumped right on it. They now have a 55-gallon home which I'm fearful they are quickly out growing.

My boyfriend and I have been looking into upgrading to a new tank and were interested in getting a corner, bow front type aquarium. I currently have a HOB AquaClear filter for a 70-gallon but ideally want to move over to a canister filter with a couple air pumps.

Does anyone here have a corner aquarium? Do they provide enough room for the fishies to swim around? Will I have filtration/surface agitation in a corner aquarium?

In general: Do I need to get rid of one or two of my fish? I don't think I can go much higher than a 60 gallon tank.

Thanks all. This is a lovely forum and I have already learned a lot reading through it.

Amanda!

Hi and welcome to Kokos. :D

I've never had a corner aquarium but I know of a member or two that do. We generally recommend 20 gallons per fish for the first fish and an additional 15-20 gallons for each additional fish. With a 60 gallon tank, I think 3 fish would be max.

As far as filtration, you'll want a filter or combination of filters (many of us prefer running 2 filters rather than one large one) that filter 10X the volume of your tank per hour. So, if you have a 60 gallon tank, you'll want a filter or two that filters 600 gallons per hour. With that amount of filtration you'll have a good amount of surface agitation. If you want more, you can add an air pump with a bubble wand.

If you have more questions or need clarification on what I wrote, just ask. :)

Lisa gave you great advice, but since you have comets, typically a longer tank will be better in the long run so they'll have more swimming space. Just my 2 cents :) whichever tank you decide, be sure to post pics!

Overall, I believe that corner tanks are not a good design for goldfish.

Goldfish need plenty of room to swim horizontally, as this is their preferred movement. Corner tanks are usually designed with height to add gallonage more than length/width. Also, goldfish need a large surface area for gas exchange. A long tank will better provide these for them.

If there are more than aesthetic reasons for you to get a corner tank, then that's how it is, but if you can get a long tank then I believe that is the better option.

Edited by ChelseaM

Many people here have corner tanks because they tend to fit in the smaller living spaces common in Europe. The juwel trigon comes in two sizes 190 liters and 350 liters (at least those are the ones I have seen). A member here, great_kahn has two beautiful fish in a 190. These tanks are really nicely designed and I think they make nice homes for goldfish.

They come with insufficient built in filters and need to have their filtering capacity upgraded for goldfish (or really any fish). This can be a bit of a challenge because of the way they are shaped. A canister is the best solution for these tanks.