• est Results for the Following:
    • * Ammonia Level (tank): 0
    • * Nitrite Level (tank) 0
    • * Nitrate level (Tank) 0
    • * Ammonia Level (Tap):
    • * Nitrite Level (Tap)
    • * Nitrate level (Tap)
    • * Ph Level, (Tank) (If possible,KH, GH and chloramines) 7.4
    • * Ph Level, (Tap) (If possible, KH, GH and chloramines)
    • Tank information:
      • * Brand of test kit (drops or strips): API
      • * Filter name and size (GPH/LPH)
      • * Additives and conditioners: Prime, SafetStart
      • * Water temperature (With or without heater- please specify): with heater 75
      • * Last water change date: today
      • * Tank size (Gallons or litres): 10G QT
      • * Fish in the tank (species and number): 1 Gold Gourami
  • * Any new fish added into the tank: No
  • -If Yes: Were they quarantined? No
  • -If Yes: Quarantine period and process (meds added): No meds yet,in QT for 2.5 days
  • * List prior health issues in tank: n/a
  • * Medications previously added to the tank: n/a
  • * Medications on hand: MG, MM, Kanaplex, Maracyn 2, Triple Sulpha, Furan 2, Maracyn Plus, Erythromycin, Fungus Guard, Parasite Guard, Ridich, Prazi (pretty much everything, as am overseas so keep a stock).

Affected fish information:

• * Diet- brand and amount/duration of feeding: Tetrabits a few pellets a day
  • * Any unusual behaviour such as nipping, bottom sitting, etc: Mostly hiding behind driftwood and bottom sitting, but comes out for food and eats readily. Easily scared.
  • * Any unusual findings on fish and in tank: Seems to be missing sales and has a wound or ulcer, some areas look a little pink when I look at the photo.
  • * Affected fish in quarantine or in main tank: in QT
  • * Current medications being used on affected fish: None
  • * Previous medications used to treat affected fish: None
  • * If any, list previous health issues and treatment protocols taken:) N/A
  • * You can really help us to identify with the concern more accurately if you post some pictures and a short video.

I unexpectedly inherited this fish night before last from a friend who is moving. He was in a 10G with 2 large plecos and 4 white/black skirt tetras. She said she had him for about 2 years. When I got him home I quickly set up a QT and noticed that he seems to have scales missing and an ulcer on his side, about an inch behind his gills. The area there seems a bit swollen, too. I suspect the plecos may be responsible for the scales, but not know for a fact. The wound/ulcer, though, seems too small. It is all red, no white areas. (I do not have the pleco/tetras btw--she gave them to someone else).

In any case, he needs some TLC. He has what seems to be some healing ammonia burn marks on the tip of one of his feelers, maybe a bit around his mouth, but too bad, but I am concerned about this ulcer/wound and what seem to be some pinkish areas under the scales. It is not getting bigger, nor does it seem to be healing. In her tank, he was at the top, but there was no where to hide. In my tank, I have a "safe corner" set up for him with some silk plants and a piece of driftwood, He spends most of his time hunkered down in the corner back there, except when I feed him--he them comes to the top and eats normally. He is easily scared.

I have added nothing to the water as of yet (except Prime and Safestart), and am not sure if gouramis can handle salt or should I put him on an antibiotic (and if so, which one)? I know nothing about gouramis except that they are labyrinthine fish and so no melafix.

I will prazi him, but wanted to check on what I should do about this wound/ulcer first. You can see it in the pic, as well as the missing scales.

IMG_5212_zps57d456f0.jpg

Edited by spillie

• Supporter

No advice for you but that is awesome that you saved him! He is really cute. Maybe he will stop being shy when he is not under constant placos attack! I am sure he is in good hands! Look at his little face! :happydance

Hi Spillie, can you take a top view photo of him just so we can see the extent of swelling? I think salt (0.1%) and prazi will be a good route to take, but epsom may be needed first.

Hi Narny! I took a pic, but you cannot see the swelling at all from the top. It looks just a bit raised in the area around the ulcer/wound when viewed from the side. I have go out now, but can upload it later--but I think the swelling is quite minimal. Which is good! Should I start the salt?

Edited by spillie

Well, he has been in salt and prazi for 5 days, but the ulcer/red spot is not getting better. It looks like it might be getting a bit bigger in diameter (though not deeper) and almost seems to be under the scales, but it is hard to tell. Should I keep up with the salt, or try a med? The complicating factor is that I am going away a week from today for more than a month...I'll have someone in to change water and such, but she is not a fish-experienced person...

Photo from today:

redspotday5002_zps2254facb.jpg

Edited by spillie

The photo I just posted is a new photo from today. To me, it looks a bit bigger and darker red. On the other hand, the swollen area near it seems down from 5 days ago. He is eating fine and acting the same. Let me put the original and new photo in this same post..

5 days ago:

IMG_5212_zps57d456f0.jpg

Today:

redspotday5002_zps2254facb.jpg

I have MG, MM, kanaplex, maracyn plus, maracyn 2, erythromycin, furan 2, and triple sulfa on hand. Also antibac bath (from goldfish connection, no idea what it is in it).

Edited by spillie

Thanks!

It's good that you have kanaplex. In this case I don't think prazi is treating for the right thing, but a few rounds as a precaution is never an issue. For now, you can stop prazi after you finish your next treatment (if you're currently doing one).

Are you able to make up some medicated food? It will be more beneficial to feed the kanamycin orally, if not, it can still be dosed directly to the water- up to you. I can guide you through how to make it into a medicated food formula

Hi Narny, thanks for checking in. I added kanamycin to the water this AM, as no time to make food before work. I have some repashy, can I add kanamycin to that? I also have medigold, which has kanamycin in it, I think, as well as 2 other drugs--could I feed that instead, since I have it on hand? (I'll take the kanamycin out of the water if I start to feed it instead).

The fish still acts normally--he is actually quite a sweet, shy guy--but the red patch seems even a bit bigger, possibly. Of course, it is too soon for the kanamycin to act, but since it is not getting better now that I have had him more than a week, I no longer think it is a pleco wound.

Edited by spillie

Sorry for the late reply.

Medi gold just seems too much of a potent medication for an already compromised gourami, so I don't necessarily think that is best in terms of treating him effectively.

The kanaplex is fine in the water, but yes, you can mix it with repashy which would be 0.5% kanamycin sulfate (50mg/kg) per wet weight of food. If you want to make it up, 100 grams of repashy should last you a while and the remainder can be frozen and saved. When adding to repashy, add it once it has been heated so you are mixing it into a consistent paste