Betta for my office

Rojo

• Supporter

good point you could always get a 40 gall and he could have all the room he ever wanted.... but then you may not have any more room in you office for office stuff. Ok so 40 is not a good idea... unless you need another tank at home lol.

Ps I looked up the tank I was thinking about and its just 6.6 gal

http://www.petco.com/product/14978/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium.aspx?CoreCat=certona-_-ProductListTopRated_Fish_2-_-Petco%20Bookshelf%20Freshwater%20Fish%20Aquarium-14978

http://www.amazon.com/Petco-Bookshelf-Freshwater-Fish-Aquarium/dp/B004FJ9SDC/ref=sr_1_1?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1373343578&sr=1-1&keywords=bookshelf+aquarium

Your betta is so cute. I'm glad you've made the decision to upgrade to a tank with a heater. If you have the space in your office to set up a 10g tank you should go for that. If not, get something a little smaller. My daughter has the 5g long fluval w/filter and it's awesome. We just added a little heater in the filter area and all is good. (she went for the artificial plants but has lots of them.)

Looking forward to seeing what you decided on. :)

OK im not sure if tithra still has it but she had an (8gal I believe) bookshelf tank that was to me perfect for a beta and may work great at the office. Just an idea.

Edit: not telling you to ask for hers lol just getting one like it.

I love the bookshelf aquarium! It is 6.6 gallons, but it feels bigger than a typical 5 gallon because it is so long (24 inches I believe)

but I actually did just order a 13.3 gallon tank that will be replacing that one.

I also hate to be a downer too but I had the worst experience in these bowl sizes of yours when I attempted betta keeping nearly 2 years ago. I had 1 and 2.5 gallons but urgh my bettas kept dying one after another, when I upgraded from my goldfish from a 10 gallon to 60 gal i decided to try one last time for betta keeping after remodeling my previous 10 gallon with new substrate, new filter, etc. and my betta has lived ever since until now.

My Minibows 1 and 2.5 i had to put them in storage and I really hate for that money to be thrown away like that but its the fact that it killed many bettas out there.

Hope you have the chance to upgrade your lil buddy

So I bought a aquarium master 10gallon with a same brand led light and a jebo 50w heater my wife bought carib sea white sand. He has been swimming like a boss lol I named him Napoleon. As for filtration im using a tetra 10g filter that came with a starter kit I had, I packed it with filter floss and biomax. But it seems that it creates too much current and when I turn it down im not sure if it filters good enough lol. I just bought a sponge filter please advise if this is a good choice for filtration for my tank I will post pics soon as I get home

That's great! I would just run the filter and watch how he behaves. If he seems to be bothered by the return, baffle it with something. You can put a plant in front of it or hang piece of filter floss over the output.

I would definitely try baffling the filter and placing some plants under the output. Bettas appreciate a well planted tank, and the plants can help to break up the current and provide 'resting' spots. You can use a piece of filter media to baffle the filter (place a longish piece of media in the output area of the filter) or a soda bottle (cut off both ends, cut this piece lengthwise and place over output).

Here's a good link on baffling http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/104861-how-to-baffle-filter-current/

Sponge filters are certainly ok, my main argument against them is they take up pretty significant amount of room in the tank, and it is somewhat limited in terms of the type of filtration it provides (you can put biomedia in a sponge filter ;) ). I think the sponge filter would be an ok alternative if the baffling and plants don't help, but I would try those things first. You may also find that Napoleon needs a little time to adjust to the current.

I can't wait to see pics!

Warning Pic Heavy!

okay so here are some pictures of when i first set up the tank, two days ago i woke up and the tetra whisper filter died on me it probably has sand in the motor but i didnt have time to mess with it i had to get ready for work. So in a matter of 3-4 seconds flat i pulled out a internal whisper10g filter swapped out the media and had that bad boy running i didnt want napolean to think that there was gonna be no current! anyways here are some pictures of how it looked

A20FC151-orig_zpsc5ad5a37.jpg

BF9677F2-orig_zpsfc2ccb43.jpg

B7DDFB91-orig_zpsa71a83f4.jpg

F6E7D694-orig_zps8f6e4fe5.jpg

F15D9748-orig_zps4983a4cb.jpg

A60A4B5E-orig_zpse08d9a2e.jpg

0838CC53-orig_zps7170e546.jpg

1D14BA6F-orig_zpsc189767c.jpg

And here is a update of how it looks now i did not decide to go with real plants because im still trying to handle planting my goldies tank, but i had som fake plants stored so i used those i put the tallest plants in front of the filter output to baffle some of the current and i think its working out perfectly

4AA17523-orig_zps50ba25ff.jpg

9C468F78-orig_zps116b7f84.jpg

4CA0CA11-orig_zpsefe7f6b3.jpg

EB963F28-orig_zpscf939a32.jpg

2EAFA413-orig_zps6c1df20e.jpg

5673D933-orig_zpsb325dea5.jpg

Also i wanted to switch my filter, i was going to buy a AC20 but at my lfs i saw this http://www.amazon.com/Deep-Blue-Professional-ADB88702-30-Gallon/dp/B009GO75VS/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1373665000&sr=8-4&keywords=biomaxx+filter

and wondered what your guys thought on this was. if not ill stick with my ac20 i love aqua clears if not an fx5 will also do so filtered 10gallon tank

:Beware::rules::pp:flex::devilangel:badidea:rofl2

dang it also, lol what size heater is good for a 10gallon betta tank i have a 50w but i cant get the temperature to be steady please advise

the tank looks great :) I really love elephant ear bettas :heart

I have never used the filter you linked so I can't comment specifically on that. But I used to use an AC20 on my betta tank on the lowest setting and it was great. I now use a zoo med nano canister, which I *love* because it has good gph, lots of room for media, and is perfect for a betta tank because the spray bar lessens the output current. It is also very quiet. Check out my review here if you are interested http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/99295-zoo-med-nano-501-canister-review/

I'm sure the one you linked would be good though, deep blue is a respected brand. (but if you already have the AC20, I would probably just stick with that. You should be able to lower the output setting to get a flow that is tolerable for your betta with that filter)

What type of heater do you have now? Are you able to set it, or is it automatic? What is the typical room temp? What temp are you trying to achieve?

Generally, a 50 watt heater should be good for a 10 gallon. A larger one might be needed if room temp is quite low (so the jump between room temp and desired tank temp is big, like 20 degrees), but that would be pretty rare scenario I think.

Congratulations on your tank upgrade. It looks so much better. I love how you decorated it. It looks awesome and I bet your betta is enjoying it, exploring all over his new home.