Betta for my office

Rojo

Well i started my new job about a month ago its a little hard for me to get use to but it could be worse. so to make things a little more soothing and calming for me i bought a betta i think the right name is a elephant ear betta not to sure help me out on what breed he is still dont have a name but i love it. the one thing about fish is that they are addictive.

Here are some pictures ill get better ones later on today.

3793DC2D-orig_zps1435012e.jpg

C7A8F21B-orig_zps1871a566.jpg

Here is a blurry one

1781BE2C-orig_zps92233556.jpg

look at the size of those fins :o

I know right

Lovely bettas they have at (certain chain pet store) these days.

i bought this one at a local fish shop they. Chain stores may carry nice fish but by the time that people buy them they arent in th best conditon well that's in my opinion even tough i bought my calico and oranda at petsmart....

Beautiful betta you have their!!

Thank you

Nice :thumb:

thanks

What a beaut :)

Thanks

Very pretty fish. :)

Thank you

Beautiful Betta.

Thanks it makes the paperwork in my office not seem as stressful as it is :ehh

Lovely beta. I was gonna say to name her Scarlett, but then I remembered he is a boy. LOL

Edited by Flipper

Beautiful betta!

I really hate to be the downer, but honestly that container is not ideal for your little guy. Bettas really need a very minimum of 2.5 gallons, although most here would agree 5 gallons is a better minimum as this provides adequate room for a stimulating and temperature stable environment. It is quite important for betta health that their home be heated to 78-82F, which can be difficult to achieve and maintain in a small container not to mention that bettas should have a rich environment to explore in order to prevent the boredom that often causes behaviors such as fin nipping.

Yes, that mirror should be removed. Physical stimulation is what is used to keep bettas form, but it is an environmental stressor and should not be in there for more than 1 hour a day if you choose to use them- personally I don't since tanks should have enough environmental stimuli to keep them well occupied

aww man im completely saddend by this....

i really like my betta being in my office and i dont think i can get away with having a tank in my office. BUT nothing stops me when once i get started i will figure something and keep my betta safe and unstressed. Thanks for the advice

I'm sorry Rojo :( I hope you can figure something out!

Here's a great article Narny recently wrote on betta care if you want to take a look :)http://www.kokosgoldfish.invisionzone.com/forum/index.php?/topic/111392-bowls-are-foes-for-bettas-too/

Thanks you are so helpful tithra

• 2 weeks later...

so im buying my little betta a tank today and im not sure if i should buy a 5gallon or ten gallon please advise i do want to plant it and maybe have a couple of little guys in there maybe guppies or tetras not sure, please help... also what equipment do i need. Thanks in advance

If you want tank mates I would suggest a ten gallon

, and for equipment just a heater , and a low flow rate filter,, and lighting depending what kind of plants you use

Edited by Gustave

so im buying my little betta a tank today and im not sure if i should buy a 5gallon or ten gallon please advise i do want to plant it and maybe have a couple of little guys in there maybe guppies or tetras not sure, please help... also what equipment do i need. Thanks in advance

It's not advisable to have tankmates with bettas. For lack of better description, they are aggressive loners. Some bettas have been known to be ok with tankmates but they're few and far between and not aggression free by any means.

Guppies, tetras and other bright fish with flashy fins are a BIG no go. A betta will attack them because the fins aren't far off a betta's and territorial behaviour kicks in.

You need lots of plants (fake or real) as they rest on them. The closer to the surface the better. A heater is a must and make sure the tank has a lid as they're jumpers. :)

Edited by MummyDJ

5 gallons is the minimum they should be housed in since it can be adequately filtered and heated. If you're looking to plant, a long, shallow tank will be much better for the fish and easier to work with. 10 gallons again will be much easier to maintain and plant, so really it comes down to your preference. If you want to try tank mates, aim for 15 gallons.

You should be able to find a nice 10 gallon kit that would include a filter, heater, hood and light. Most pet stores carry these and they're often less expensive than buying the pieces separately.

• Supporter

OK im not sure if tithra still has it but she had an (8gal I believe) bookshelf tank that was to me perfect for a beta and may work great at the office. Just an idea.

Edit: not telling you to ask for hers lol just getting one like it.

Edited by Daniel E.