How Long Can Anubias Live Without a Tank Light?

fantailfan1

When my tank lights turned on this morning, my fish thought they had been transported to a 1970s disco. My Marineland Double Bright LEDs were blinking. The blue lights were fine, the white lights were not. I tried a few things--different plug, etc--but nothing worked.

I called Marineland support. They answered right away and the customer service rep was very pleasant. I told her my situation, she asked when I purchased it (I estimated late 2011 to early 2012?) and for the lot number on the unit. She then told me they would send a new one at no charge and got all my shipping info. So I went from :madrant (I wasn't rude to her at all, that's just how I felt when I saw my lights :teehee ) to :nana .

My question is--it will take about 7 days or so before my new light arrives. What should I do with my anubias, java fern, and water sprite in the meantime? I'm assuming they can't go that long without any light? The tank is not near a window.

Should I put them in a 10 gallon full of tank water every couple of days and put them out in the sunlight? :idont

I'm new to plants and I'd like to keep them alive. :o

Thanks for any recommendations you have for me. :D

Actually with all the plants I have I may have to get out my 20 long. Would putting it in a window be better or is outside? I could put some sort of netting or something over it to keep the mosquitos out. We have a plug I could plug an air pump into also . . .

I can do either inside in a window or outside . . .

Thanks for your help. :D

I would put them outside with the air stone and a net over the tank. Maybe even add your snails. They can gorge on green algae while everyone waits for the lighting! :D

Edited by ChelseaM

I know you said your tank is not near a window, Lisa, but do they get any sunlight where they are?

The way I look at it, you've got two options:

1. Leave them in their tank. Chances are they'll still be alive when the week is out, but their condition would be less than ideal. That said, all three are hardy plants and would more than likely bounce back in time. It's sort of a trade-off really. You can go this route and chance it, or play it safe and go with option 2. Really plants need light of some sort. Temporarily they're fine without, but I'm a little uncertain as to how well they would hold up over 7 days. If they were delicate species you would definitely lose them going with this option; however, they aren't, hence my uncertainty.
  2. Stick them near a window with sunlight. They don't need full sunlight, indirect will suffice for this short a time period; however, full sunlight won't hurt and if available would be best.

A few clip on lights with daylight bulbs are definitely better than nothing. Just watch the k-rating for the bulbs that you buy--home depot/lowes are more likely to have the right bulbs than your typical walmart.

Chicken brooder lamps are also a super cheap form of lighting, in a pinch, but you'd need something to hang them from.

I've got them in my 20 in front of a window. If they start to look bad and I go the clip on route, what k rating am I looking for? :idont

I'd go to Lowe's cuz it happens to be right next to Petsmart. :peeka

:rofl

I think a better title for this would have been "How Long Can I Put Up With Not Having a Tank Light?".

Can we take bets on this? :P