anubias and algae

So I am having some issues with my anubias in my 55 gallon goldfish tank :(

Can anyone tell me what this is,and how do I get rid of it???

I had recently switched my nerite snails to the Betta tanks and picked up some mystery snails and I think that's what I did wrong ;) the nerites were much better cleaners imo ;) but I could be wrong,

what do you think about the plants condition?

and what would you do?

plant3.jpg

plant2.jpg

plant1.jpg

today is tank cleaning day so suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I'm about to give up on live plants and buy fake ones :( so frustrated :(

My anubias look like that by tank cleaning day also. :o

I usually wipe them down with my fingers :idont or a Qtip (fingers are quicker :rofl ).

I do think my nerites help as I don't have to clean all of my plants every week. Occasionally, maybe once every couple of months, I give the plants a bath in potassium permanganate and that keeps the brown algae from coming back for a week or more.

My fake plants got brown algae on them also . . . do yours not? :idont

Good luck. :D

I used to take them out and give them a little scrub with every w/c but with the sand and bigger rocks I don't want to pull everything out 2x a week ;)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

• Supporter

i use a cotton cloth and just wipe them down. then i just soak them in a bleach solution for 5 mins. rinse well, soak them in a bucket of prime for another 5 mins and in the tank. they look new every time (yes, this is live plants & driftwood). they look newer again in the tank the next day with this method.

^ i do this every other month

ok so i tried your suggestion yesterday Helen and they do look a bit better,

they are still soaking in a bucket of primed water currently, i will re add them to the tank later tonight ;) thanks

I started doing Helen's method about 6 months ago and it works like a charm!

I think if you're doing it weekly (like I do) or bi-weekly, a weak bleach solution is not so hard on the plants in the long run. I do mine weekly and add about a capful of bleach to a gallon and a half of water, soak for about 3 minutes. If I do this weekly I never have anything to remove but if I let it go longer, like 10-14 days then I have to do the soak and also the toothbrush method. I usually just put mine in prime and water for about 10-15 minutes before returning to the tank. The java ferns have a harder time with the bleach I think due to their leaf structure so I dip them in only for about a minute or two.

• Supporter

i swear, using this method has really made me happy :) below is a pic of what my plants currently look like. this tank sits in front of a window that receives direct sunlight :) i have not needed to retreat my plants for nearly 5 weeks now and they're still pretty darn good, don't you think? soon, they will begin to grow some algae as it does start growing back after approx 8 weeks. but dang, this method is really awesome :)

Img_4322_zps7c8f6814.jpg

• Supporter

i don't use anything at all in my tanks hun, but sometimes, i take the plants out and leave them overnight in a bucket with plant fertilizer & then rinse well before readding back to the tank.. i found that like algaecide, fertilizer messed with my fish's slime coat too. not to the extent of the algaecide, but somewhat.