snails with goldies

Nerites are great because the soft parts of their bodies are more protected by their shells than other kinds. They are also more effective at eating algae. I have had a pink ramshorn, who was cute and short-lived and currently have a batch of purple and white apple snails. I put one white one in with my fish and he was immediately a snack for the fish.

I will try again once the tank is planted and the snails are bigger.

Nerite. Although some people seem to have nerites that do a good job and others don't. My nerite eats a lot of algae from the sides of the tank. The apples (who are in their own bowl growing up) are just a blast to watch. We have purple and white ones and they sail up/down/around the container.

Apple snails are the same as mystery snails, correct?

Yes they are the same. What snail eats more algae? Apple or Nerite?

From what I've read the Mystery snails get to heavy to keep plants in a planted tank clean, but the Nerite snails stay small and will keep the plants free of algae.

Apple snails are the same as mystery snails, correct?

Yes they are the same. What snail eats more algae? Apple or Nerite?

From what I've read the Mystery snails get to heavy to keep plants in a planted tank clean, but the Nerite snails stay small and will keep the plants free of algae.

Mystery/apple snails in my experience do a terrible job eating algae. I've owned 5 so far and have never seen them really put any sort of noticeable dent in algae. But they do all sorts of other cool things that make them worth having just for entertainment value ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have 2 nerite snails and it surprises me how fast the are. They ride piggy back on each other all the time and will lay eggs but i believe in order for the eggs to be viable the need brackish water.

Here they are playing chase. Lol!

Posted Image

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

My large Oranda ate the entire facial structure off of my mystery snail in one bite, so I can say that I haven't had luck keeping them. My nerites are full size and Clementine can't fit them in her mouth. She leaves them alone for the most part. :)

^ Oh dear, that would be traumatizing I think!

My fish leave my snails completely alone...like they aren't even in the tank. However, they are nowhere near Clementine sized. :)

• 1 month later...

Only snails I can get locally are ramshorn or mystery snails.

I have two mystery snails atm and they are with my two red/white telescope goldies.

They havnt eaten or tried eating them from what ive seen. But they do like to knock them off the glass and play soccer with them at times lol.