Sign in to follow this  
Liam Morley

Python and Aqueon Water Changers

Hey everyone! :D

I'm looking into getting either a 40 gallon or a 50-55 gallon, all the planning is going well except one thing. I know a lot of you guys out there, when it comes to water changes, your just like "oh yeah I've just got my python so I just flick the switch turn the tap on, add some prime, done!" Lol. I wish I could do that but the problem is: all my taps don't have things to unscrew, their just one solid thing that runs water, ill add some picks if you don't know what I mean. So all you guys who don't have Pythons or Aqueon water changers (particularly Aussies) how do you do your water changes?

Also if you do know a way to work pythons or Aqueon water changers on taps that don't have unscrew able caps PLZ!! Let me know :D

I had this problem because my faucet is older than I am. I just drain my tank using a regular siphon, into 5 gallon buckets, and dump them outside. Then I use a garden hose I bought just for the aquarium and hook it to this thingy that I got at the hardware store. I had no idea what to use so I just went to the hardware store and told them I needed to attach a garden hose to my faucet, and brought photos of my faucet from a lot of angles with me.

If you have the standard Australian faucet, it should unscrew. Sometimes you'll need a wench to loosen it if you've never unscrewed it, but please add pics :) Unfortunately if you don't have a tap that unscrews there's really not much you can do.

You can always drain straight out into the garden by using a longer hose, but this will also affect the suction- still, much easier than buckets!

Pythons are quite expensive to get over here, and will cost close to $100, but they're definitely worth it!

Here's where I purchased mine from. http://www.kensfish.com/

Edited by Narny105

I can't help you at all with faucet adapters BUT

Up until recently I only used a siphon (I have this one) that took my water out the tank and through the window, then big bowls or buckets to add the water back in. More labor-intensive, but it did the job :flex:

Right now my python won't screw to my faucet either, so I just use it to siphon the water out the door, then actually hook it to the garden hose to refill. The faucet attachment screws right on to the hose. This means, though, that I remove my fish every water change so I can temperature-adjust the water as it goes into the tank. My hose water is about 58F, so I have to add hot water from the faucet to that to bring the temperature up to what my tank normally is.

Edited by ChelseaM

http://www.sears.com/claber-8583-koala-indoor-faucet-adapter/p-07105989000P

^ This is sort of what mine is like, but this looks a little fancier. Mine doesn't stay on all the time. You essentially screw the garden hose onto the thingy, and the thingy hugs your faucet.

I can't help you, I still use buckets for everything. Hopefully this winter I am planning on making a waterchange system that will transfer out a rain barrels worth of water at a time saving me the 3 hr water change and the hauling of 2200 lbs of water a week. :)

post pics, the website that Narny posted you has a lot of options for connecting a python water changer. OMG, i can't live without mine.. nope... :no:

If you have the standard Australian faucet, it should unscrew. Sometimes you'll need a wench to loosen it if you've never unscrewed it, but please add pics :) Unfortunately if you don't have a tap that unscrews there's really not much you can do.

You can always drain straight out into the garden by using a longer hose, but this will also affect the suction- still, much easier than buckets!

Pythons are quite expensive to get over here, and will cost close to $100, but they're definitely worth it!

Here's where I purchased mine from. http://www.kensfish.com/

I think the one in my kitchen may unscrew its on there pretty tight though, it won't break the whole tap off will it hahaha

post pics, the website that Narny posted you has a lot of options for connecting a python water changer. OMG, i can't live without mine.. nope... :no:

Ok I'll check out the website now. I'm not gonna get a bigger tank if I can't get myself one of these, it's a real pain using buckets as is... And I only have a 20gallon !!! :o

Up until recently I only used a siphon (I have this one) that took my water out the tank and through the window, then big bowls or buckets to add the water back in. More labor-intensive, but it did the job :flex:

I have the same one you do. I use this 8 gal camping water container with lid and empty into it, carry it out or to the bath tub if its raining drain it and do it again until I get how ever much I need out out. Then I use the bath tub faucet to fill it up and take it to the tank (about 50-60 feet away not too far) and do this until I fill it back up then start the next one. By the time I get my 15 my 30 and my 80 done ive have a workout lol

Thanks for all your help guys, 1 last thing

Do I get a python or a Aqueon water changer?

Sometimes you'll need a wench to loosen it if you've never unscrewed it, but please add pics :)

:o

Where does one get one of these unscrewing wenches? :rofl

i am sorta biast, only because i tried the alternative brands.. i vote python. they are so reliable & built well.

Sometimes you'll need a wench to loosen it if you've never unscrewed it, but please add pics :)

:o

Where does one get one of these unscrewing wenches? :rofl

:rofl :rofl

i am sorta biast, only because i tried the alternative brands.. i vote python. they are so reliable & built well.

Thanks Heaps Helen!

You always help so much in all my topics :D

Thanks everyone else as well you all helped a lot :D

Thanks Heaps Helen!

It's the Aussie in her. :teehee

Thanks Heaps Helen!

It's the Aussie in her. :teehee

you're welcome! :)

now we have to cure the Alex's from the unwenchables.. :rofl

Thanks for all your help guys, 1 last thing

Do I get a python or a Aqueon water changer?

I've used both, and I also vote python. The Aqueon broke on me in a couple of months.

Great news one of my taps/faucets (and its really close by) does have an unscrewable cap. It had a build up of stuff that made it look like it didn't. Hopefully the python fits right onto that because I really don't know what of the other attachments to chose. That much closer to my 50 gallon ;D

Great news one of my taps/faucets (and its really close by) does have an unscrewable cap. It had a build up of stuff that made it look like it didn't. Hopefully the python fits right onto that because I really don't know what of the other attachments to chose. That much closer to my 50 gallon ;D

WOOT Im glad you where able to unscrew it.... now lets hope it fits... :thumbs:

Fingers crossed for ya.. I cant live with out my Python :)

I have the same one you do. I use this 8 gal camping water container with lid and empty into it, carry it out or to the bath tub if its raining drain it and do it again until I get how ever much I need out out. Then I use the bath tub faucet to fill it up and take it to the tank (about 50-60 feet away not too far) and do this until I fill it back up then start the next one. By the time I get my 15 my 30 and my 80 done ive have a workout lol

Ha, this is pretty much what I do, only I have a hose to fill...but I like draining my tank into buckets simply because I never get arm workouts otherwise :rofl

And I honestly like how gentle my cheapie siphon is. It couldn't hurt one of my fish if it tried. It can barely pick up a snail. Takes longer to drain of course, but the slow pace helps keep me from flooding anything xD