Some advice needed on Ramshorn Snails

Hi guys

I bought some Ramshorn Snails for my goldfish tank a month ago but they were a little small so I placed them in my shrimp tank

to let them grow out a bit. They're doing well and I think it's about time to move a few of them over.

My plan was to set up a QT tank and leave them in there with regular water changes for about 2 weeks before transferring them into the goldfish tank. There are no other fish in the shrimp/snail tank at the moment, but there were ten tetras in there until last week (I gave them away) so I imagine a QT is a good precaution?

My question is about the temperature range that the snails will tolerate. At present they are in with the shrimp at about 24/25 degrees Celsius, however the goldfish tank (which is not heated at the moment) runs between 18, 19, 20 & 21 degrees (usually 20). I'm not sure how to transfer them and my issue is compounded by the fact that I have no spare heaters.

Would it be safe to transfer them into a unheated 24 degree QT tank and let the temperature drop naturally to the same range as the goldfish tank? (i.e. 20/19 degrees) And would these temps suit the snails?

Also, my snails are reproducing like nothing I've ever seen. They started last week and I swear there is about 50 miniscule baby snails floating about, and three new little egg clutches in the corner of the tank. Will these all mature? Should I start trying to dispose of the eggs when I spot them in the interests of controlling their population? They're in a 40 litre with about 25 red cherry shrimp and 2 bumblebees.

You should be fine at that temp, and gradual reduction of temp to acclimate is always best. :)

I confess to LOLing at your description of the snails doing something frighteningly sexual. :rofl

Hi Derek,

Yes, alas, your snails have strayed from the path of virtue. We have discovered that apples snails do not tolerate temps below 15C although I suspect ramshorns are more adaptable. We had a pink ramshorn like yours throughout the winter and he did not seem to mind the cold.

The apples are thriving indoors at temps between 17-22. Eventually, we hope they will be big enough to go in the main tank.

^ I am spitting out my coffee reading all of your description of fornication. Nothing like coffee thru the nostrils. Thanks for the entertainment!:D

Good luck with your snails. I'd like to get some ramshorn snails. Don't know where to find them. Maybe you will have to start a puffer tank to help with your snail population. :rofl

Edited by Flipper

I went ahead today and set up a QT tank, filled with temperature matched water treated with prime. I transfered the four biggest snails in and put them on an algae covered Anubia, with a slice of cucumber nearby.

Six hours later and none of them seem to have moved much, in fact, they're all sitting motionless, with three lying on their sides.

Either they're hiding in their shells, or... They've all died :-(

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

No change when I came back from work today, but one of them just moved its tentacles a tiny bit, which is encouraging.

I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to put them back in the 24 degree shrimp/snail tank and see if they come to?

Would moving them abruptly from 20 to 24 degrees have the same effect as a sudden drop in temperature?

This is really much like what was happening with us. They were laying on their sides motionless for days outside in the cold water. I put them in an ordinary cereal bowl, filled with their cold water and brought them inside and under a light. After about 24 hours, one began moving and the other didn't. I disposed of the non-mover.

The snail is still not as active as the ones that remained inside but is alive and eating sinking fish pellets. Water temp is 22C. Outside must have been 15.

It's funny, I put them in a colander in their original tank and within 48 hours they had come back to life! The little B@stards :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2