Tank Leak; Need New Home

Thawthorne09

Hi everyone,

I'd like to start by saying I love my goldfish, Opis. He's a little black moor, and one of his eyes is just a hair larger than the other one.

This morning, I walked in my room, and found that my 36 gallon bow front had decided to drain itself. About 15-20 gallons had gone into the floor, and somewhere into the ceiling below. I scooped out my goldfish and quickly put him in an empty 10 gallon. Regardless, it's going to take a lot of money to combat the water damage.

Unfortunately, my parents are pretty sure I can't get a new tank, and I'm devastated. They're firm believers in the old "fish only get as big as their tank". Yeah right.

I don't want to stunt Opis' growth. This poor little guy has already been through so much: due to the recent wildfires, he had to travel with me, and he's still stressed out. I know he can't live in the ten gallon tank forever.

I really, really hate that I have to do this. :(

I live in Colorado Springs, CO, and if I can't work things out, can someone take Opis for me? I'm looking for someone with a lot of experience, and who can deal with Opis' "down days". He gets stressed out really easy. He prefers a planted tank...I tried to do a bare bottom set up with no plants and a lot of terra cotta pots, but he freaked and hid behind the filter for days, so I had to temporarily house him in the ten gallon while I re-designed the 36. I have never seen him dig up a plant.

I'm also looking for someone that won't re-home him, and who would send me updates. In the future, I would really want him back...if the stars align.

Opis loves to interact with me, and he knows that when the lights come on in the morning, it's food time. He's really small, like, maybe 2-5 inches with tail (he swims around all the time, no way to measure him). I'm not sure of his age, but I would guess under a year. I'm sure he would love some tank mates, but the only creature with him now is an apple snail.

When I first got him, he went through two rounds of prazi and salt as a precaution (he was bottom sitting).

I really, really, really hope everything works out and I can keep my little buddy, but I'm posting this just in case. Thank you.

IMG_0420_zpsb530a2ec.jpg

He's adorable - I would love to take him, but I live in Massachusetts :( I hope you can figure something out for this lovely little guy...I'll keep an eye out for news!

:( I'm sorry that is awful. I think resealing is a great idea. It shouldn't be too costly, you should be able to get supplies under 20 dollars I think. All you really need is razor blades and silicone ;) It's a time consuming process, but it may be worth it!

I agree, you should keep the fish and just reseal the tank. It's a pain, but it's not hard. Shouldn't cost too much either. Look into it. :D

Anyone who reads your post is sure to know that you really love Opis. :wub:

I'm sorry for the mess that has happened and that your tank has a leak. I agree with the above comments and you should try to reseal it. I've never done anything like that before but have read to be patient because it is time consuming but will be so worth it.

Sorry for not replying, but we've had some wifi issues lately.

My parents really really don't want the tank in the house, so I'm still trying to find him a home.

Can you lookinto seeing if there are any aquarists societies near you. They usually have very experienced fish keepers as their members and they would be more likely to give appropriate care if no one here wishes to claim him.

I have a big ole pond I could put him in but I live in Canada so that is not much help to you :(

Good luck with your fishy :( I live with my parents and I understand how it is when they're in chafe of your fish. I had to twist some arms to get my 60gal. I'm sorry the leak caused you so much trouble!

I'm sorry this happened, but if your parents allow you to get another tank, Petco is having their dollar per gallon sale :D

• 1 month later...