Dropsy

Guest Hutchtaz

Guest Hutchtaz

As some of you may have read on the discussion board, I have a 2 year old fantail named Neptune (Nep, for short) that has severe dropsy.

Basically, I know that he is not going to make it through this. He is extremely swollen and pineconed. I have been treating him in the hospital tank for 5 days, but he is worse. He is starting to have blood spots appear on his belly.

So, my question is, what are the very last signs dropsy before death? He is still swimming and upright, which I am very surprised about. But, he is not eating. I do not want him to suffer, but he is still fighting.

I am really debating euthaniszing him. I do not want him to suffer. I do not him to be like this for weeks on end.

Anyone that has had a fish die dropsy what were the last signs before death? How long did it take?

Hutchtaz, I wouldn't give up on Nep yet. Its true that dropsy is a very difficult and complex situation, but just to show you it can be a success story, go ahead and have a look at this...

JoAnn Burke's dropsy treatment

JoAnn has kept, raised and sold goldfish for over 20 years now through Dandy Orandas, and knows what she is doing. It will take time, a few days is not enough for the treatment to kick in properly.

As long as the fish is active, there is a chance. If you wonna coax him to eat, try something like shrimp from the supermarket (unsalted and cut in bite sized pieces), or bloodworms, something with a stronger taste than his pellets.

If he is bottom sitting a lot, the red spots on his belly could be from that. Fish get that when resting on their belly for longer periods of time.

And as for the last signs before death, dropsied fish start to isolate themselves, stop eating, are really lethargic. The strange thing with it is, they go down hill rather fast, being active and all in the evening, and might be dead the next morning.

I really hope for Nep to pull through!...... :)

Guest Hutchtaz

Thank for the reply, Ranchugirl. I appreciate it.

He really isn't active. I guess that I kind of implied that by saying that he was swimming, but he has just sat almost completely still in the back left corner of the hospital tank. He does swim when I go to the tank, but it is almost franic. Kind of like he has no control. His belly is actually bloating larger that his fins reach, so I would imagine that it is difficult to manuver.

I was looking at him this evening and it almost seems as though his scales are starting to be injuried from the bloating. Some are turning slighly gray with black around the edges.

The blood spots are really getting bad. And he constantly has long, thin, white poop coming from him almost constantly. I wish I had a digital camera just so someone could look at him and let me what they think. I just hope that he isn't in any pain.

I can't believe how quickly this happened. I have heard of drospy being cured, especially when caught in the early stages. I caught it before his scale pineconed, but in 2 1/2 hours he was really bad and bloated badly.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who reads this. It feels good to be able to tell someone. No one else love goldfish the way that I do around here, so it is good to know that some people understand. :)

Guest Hutchtaz

Oh, thanks for the link, too. That was pretty incredible. I am doing that exact same treatment, so I guess there is hope.

hey guys. I recently lost a fish to dropsy as well, it's such a pain. Mine had excessive swelling as well, and there's a few scales coming out. it has been dropsied for 3+ weeks. When it finally died I didn't really notice any signs that it's gonna die - it happened all of a sudden. Was ok and active the night before, and suddenly died the next morning.

Guest Hutchtaz

Well, thanks everyone for your responses. I am really sad to report that I did have to euthunize Neptune last night.

Right after I posted in here last night, my hubby called me to the hospital tank. Neptune started to have bloody poops badly and was lying in the corner of the tank on his side. I couldn't stand to watch him suffer anymore. He had to have been in so much pain.

When I took him out of the oil of cloves bowl to get him ready to bury, I noticed that is entire anal area was bulging out and it looks like it was filled with blood. He was so swollen across his belly that his scale were no longer pineconed, but flat with almost a 1/4'' of space between them.

I wish that I had known that he was that bad. I would have wanted him to suffer as little as possible.

But, thanks for the support.

Candice, I am so sorry to hear that Neptune didn't make it after all! :hug

Be assured that you did everything possible to help, sometimes that is all you can do. He is in a better place now..... :)

Guest Hutchtaz

Thanks, this is the first goldfish that I have lost. I never knew that it would be this hard. I am really sad about it. My husband think that I am crazy. Thanks for your words.

Archived