Sign in to follow this  
Phillyn17

Pesky green water!

Hi guys.....

The tank I have in our extension gets lots of sunshine (when it's available!!), the last couple of days I've suffered badly from green water.....

SAM_0326_zps5f1ad09a.jpg

I had a look on Amazon, and came across an external UV filter made by AllPondSolutions......

I chose the 2000EF+ Model.....it pushes 2000 L/Hr and has an internal 9w UV lighting tube.

SAM_0320_zpsb45b4770.jpg

I connected it to the tank tonight .... for the moment I have just rigged it up externally. I have kept my Fluval external filter and my internal Interpet IPF3 running for the moment, as not to affect my cycled tank.

SAM_0329_zpsece1f44d.jpg

I will take the latter two filters out of the equation eventually, the new filter is more that big enough to run my 160 litre tank.

Fingers crossed the transition will go smoothly, and that dreaded green water will be a thing of the past...

I'll update the images in a few days to demonstrate the new pumps' efficiency....I will either rave about it, or criticise it to high heaven.....

Edited by Phillyn17

Looks good, Phil. Some (ok, you and me) have no trouble growing the stuff and some are trying to get just a little bit of green started. I had Newton in the green for a few weeks because I thought it would be good for him. I meant to keep him in it through the summer but I just became too weirded out not knowing what was going on in the tank.

Edited by motherredcap

Hi Sue ....

Yes, it's a pain isn't it? I could scrape mine off the tank glass, bag it and sell it .... may make a fortune, what do you think?

Hope all is well with you....

Edited by Phillyn17

I have algae issues too where I have one of my goldfish tanks. You can still see of it in my photos despite a lot of scraping.

Wouldn't addressing the issue of excess nutrients be the first course of action to try?.

That filter should be perfect for your purposes, Phil. Looking forward to your update in a few days. :)

:thumbs: good to see you Phil. Looks like pea soup! :) I'd like to see if green water made any difference to my fish with regards to colour or growth. My tank live under the stairs so there is very little natural light.

That filter should be perfect for your purposes, Phil. Looking forward to your update in a few days. :)

I hope so Alex, I'll keep you updated on its' success!! :thumb:

beautiful green water! :D

:thumbs: Can't wait to see!!!

Dude thats like pea soup :lol Im sure the fish's are loving it :)

With green like that you will prob notice a colour intensity change in your fish.

Thats a bit pond like (ok a bit greener than pond like lol) but green is good for your fish aslong as all the water parameters are ok. Just not appealing to the eye.

The uv will prob take 5-7 days to clear it up if its effective. And a few days to notice a difference.

I want GREEN H2O. Always want what you can't grow :rofl

Have you considered getting some yellow construction paper that matches the walls to attach to the sides of the tank that get the most light? Would barely be noticeabkend could solve your problem. Easy to attach with scotch tape and easy to remove if needed.

Well.....two days and quite a difference already......(Sorry about the reflections in the glass).

SAM_0337_zps33f40bc6.jpg

I'll update again on the weekend.... :hi

WOW that tank is no longer green :(

I love not having green water anymore :). Thanks 13 watt Grech UV sterilizer :D. It was like 33 dollars on eBay :o I was shocked by the price! And it works great! Your tank is awesome Phil :)

I love not having green water anymore :). Thanks 13 watt Grech UV sterilizer :D. It was like 33 dollars on eBay :o I was shocked by the price! And it works great! Your tank is awesome Phil :)

Thanks Mikey!!! Much appreciated...... :thumbs:

Here's the tank tonight .... just three days after switching the filter on....Clear water!!!.

What an awesome piece of kit .... true value for money.

SAM_0347_zps2f5564bc.jpg

And what it was like just three days ago ..... terrible!!!

SAM_0326_zps5f1ad09a.jpg

Remember the name guys ...... All Pond Solutions!!!!!

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Edited by Phillyn17

That's great! Wait until day 6 :P

Woah Phil. Now I can see your fish! They are beautiful! :)

I just love your calico fish :o

Woah Phil. Now I can see your fish! They are beautiful! :)

I just love your calico fish :o

Thanks Becster!!! :thumbs:

Thanks #1 !!! :thumbs:

That's some nice sized fish! :) :) Tank looks heaps better, phil. :)

What a difference six days make guys!!!

SAM_0365_zps291fb42c.jpg

And another.....

SAM_0359_zpse978f70e.jpg

With the exception of my weekend 20% routine change .... that is the same water that was present in the tank in the first image of this thread!!

Brilliant piece of kit guys!! :thumbup2::thumbup2:

I checked my water quality tonight, just to make sure the new pump installation hadn't affected it too much.

I was very happy with the results.....which were as below:-

SAM_0369_zpsfbb804f6.jpg

I also did my weekly water change, with a little extra than normal to cater for my two weeks away starting Thursday.

Happy days!! :thumbs::panana:panana:panana

Your fish are magnificent! I have the same filter, haven't needed to use the UV light...yet haha. Really impressive how quickly it worked :)